You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library inaccessible after Ventura upgrade

I've just updated my OS to Ventura on my 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro. I've tried to open my Photos library, and it is failing. My photos library is run off an external hard drive.

When I try to open Photos, I get this error: "The library could not be opened. Photos was unaple to open the library "Photos Library". (5600).

When I try to manually assign the library location, I get this error: "Failed to create the default directory paths for library url: file:///Volumes/external/iPhotos/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/". The program then quits.

This all worked correctly (albeit slow, because Photos is abysmal at handling large libraries) prior to the OS upgrade.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or have any ideas of how to fix?

I backed everything up prior to the upgrade so worst case I can always roll everything back, but I would obviously prefer not to do that.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 1:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 12:09 PM

Mine is on an external SSD, correctly formatted as APFS.

Logging out of my account or restarting rectifies this.

This bug seems to have been introduced after upgrading to Ventura...;-(

Similar questions

2 replies

Photos library inaccessible after Ventura upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.