You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pdf Icon on Email attachments in Outlook for Mac

Since I installed Mac OS Ventura, every Email I receive in Outlook doesn't show the Adobe Acrobat Reader Icon, when a pdf files is attached to the Email. This doesn't happen with Excel or Word files.

Instead of the typical little red Adobe Icon now a grey Icon is showed. I can preview the file and if I doble click to open it it works fine showing me the file with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

How can I fix this problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 8:13 AM

It is probably a bug in Adobe Acrobat. Apple recently changed the logic for how it generates those icon previews. Mail probably requires the new logic which Adobe isn't using.

Big companies like Adobe don't like to release bug fixes unless things are absolutely broken. In this case, it isn't. Apple obviously doesn't like to do that either. We are at an impasse. Do not expect anything to change.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2022 8:13 AM in response to S1000XR

It is probably a bug in Adobe Acrobat. Apple recently changed the logic for how it generates those icon previews. Mail probably requires the new logic which Adobe isn't using.

Big companies like Adobe don't like to release bug fixes unless things are absolutely broken. In this case, it isn't. Apple obviously doesn't like to do that either. We are at an impasse. Do not expect anything to change.

Oct 27, 2022 8:44 AM in response to etresoft

It's a pity that Apple release new systems with doesn't consider other companies software to work ok. Adobe Reader is a very used software, we are not talking about a software that is very unknown and not used. Perhaps this should be revised by Apple and be corrected in a future Ventura update. I will also contact Adobe.

Oct 27, 2022 10:31 AM in response to S1000XR

S1000XR wrote:

It's a pity that Apple release new systems with doesn't consider other companies software to work ok. Adobe Reader is a very used software, we are not talking about a software that is very unknown and not used. Perhaps this should be revised by Apple and be corrected in a future Ventura update. I will also contact Adobe.

But that's what caused this problem. It was a revision by Apple. But Adobe refused to comply.

Something very similar happened with fonts for several years. Most 3rd party apps were displaying hundreds of non-English "Noto" fonts. The cause was a small bug in Apple's API that caused it to return all of these "Noto" fonts when it really shouldn't have. However, at any time, for several years, any of those 3rd party apps could have modified their code to use the font APIs properly. This would have fixed the bug and given their users significantly more capabilities for font management.

But they never did. It was literally a 10 minute fix. Adobe point-blank told me it was impossible. So I wrote a little app using my 10 minute fix and made some money from it. But Ventura "fixed the glitch" for Adobe and killed my little app. I wonder what was the impetus for the fix? Ignored user complaints for several years? Or one developer profiting from the bug? 😄

At any rate, this bug is far smaller in scale. There is no quick 10-minute fix. If my theory is correct, Adobe would have re-write its QuickLook preview logic.

Pdf Icon on Email attachments in Outlook for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.