You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator password

I need help in downloading the Big Sur MacOS to an older macbook pro. The system asks me for an administrator password. What is this and if I don't have this password, how do I get it to complete the download. Please help. Catherin

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 12:23 PM

If you do not know that Mac's password, try to reset it according to If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Since you did not specify the age or macOS version of that Mac, you may need to follow Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support instead. That would be appropriate if the Mac is in fact the one shown in your profile information (MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11).

Follow all those steps to their conclusion, which may ultimately lead to If you can't reset your Mac login password.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2022 12:23 PM in response to catherin2001

If you do not know that Mac's password, try to reset it according to If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Since you did not specify the age or macOS version of that Mac, you may need to follow Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support instead. That would be appropriate if the Mac is in fact the one shown in your profile information (MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11).

Follow all those steps to their conclusion, which may ultimately lead to If you can't reset your Mac login password.

Administrator password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.