You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos do not appear in Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane

My System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver has a menu item called "Photos" which has submenus of "Favorites," "People," "Shared," and "Albums"; but all of these have no content on the right side when I click on them. See attached screenshots.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 10:00 AM

SOLVED IT.

In Find Any File app, I searched for files named "desktoppicture"; and one of the files was DesktopPictures.prefpane, contained in the following folder:

"/System/Library/PreferencePanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DesktopPictures.prefPane"

I double-clicked on it, and the System Preferences opened with a window saying that I had to install this before using it ("Do you want to install this for all users?").

I clicked OK, and now the Photos.app albums contents are listed.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2022 10:00 AM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

SOLVED IT.

In Find Any File app, I searched for files named "desktoppicture"; and one of the files was DesktopPictures.prefpane, contained in the following folder:

"/System/Library/PreferencePanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DesktopPictures.prefPane"

I double-clicked on it, and the System Preferences opened with a window saying that I had to install this before using it ("Do you want to install this for all users?").

I clicked OK, and now the Photos.app albums contents are listed.

Nov 2, 2022 10:14 AM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

I tried using EasyFind to search for the string "Photos Library" on my MBP, and most of the results were localizable language files, but I found two that mentioned "errors" with the library:

In the file "/private/var/log/install.log", there is this:

2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: found System Photo Library: /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary
2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2
2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2
2022-10-31 17:55:56-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2

In the file "/Library/Application Support/com.bombich.ccc/fcy_debug.5191F29F-B880-4465-9319-330D1709F45D.log," there is this, relating to a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my photos library:

CCE_SIGL| 03/03 15:56:11 Physical size mismatch: /Volumes/Bootable Backup CCC/Users/photoshare/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/thumbs/4132.ithmb_WTYk: source: 6152, dest: 5944. Unpunched holes: 0

I have no idea whether this is relevant.

Nov 3, 2022 2:49 PM in response to BDAqua

All right, these are the files found that have the word "photo" in their names:

com.apple.cloudphotod.plist

com.apple.photolibraryd.plist

Photos.sqlite

Photos.sqlite

com.apple.Photos.plist

Photos.sqlite.aside

Update_Images_from_Photos_Library.scpt

com.apple.Photos.CPLDiagnose

com.apple.Photos.Migration

photolibraryd

com.apple.Photos.librarychooserservice

com.apple.photoanalysisd.plist

com.systweak.Duplicate-Photos-Fixer-Pro.plist

keyedobjects-101300.nib

keyedobjects.nib

keyedobjects-101300.nib

keyedobjects.nib

Find Larger and Smaller by Selected Size.zip

com.apple.PhotoLibraryMigrationUtility.plist

And these have the word "desktop":

desktoppicture.db

DesktopPictures

Photos do not appear in Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.