You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac mini?

I've followed all the instructions and system requirements but can't get this to work.

if Mac Mini is attached to a monitor without a built-in webcam, is it possible to use the iPhone as the webcam???

thank you.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:04 AM

I have a 2018 Mac mini with a monitor without a webcam and the iPhone is detected as a Continuity Camera automatically.

For example, FaceTime shows the iPhone's rear camera. The iPhone's screen shows a notification stating that the camera is connected.

6 replies

Dec 2, 2022 7:36 AM in response to jah435

This is the craziest thing. The only way my M1 Mac mini will recognize my iPhone 13 Pro Max wirelessly as a web cam, is if I also have another web cam plugged directly into the Mini via USB. Without the secondary unused webcam plugged in via USB, the iPhone is only recognized as a continuity camera when plugged into the Mac Mini with a lightning cable. This is messed up. Anyone have a solution to this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.