You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No notification alert or sound since upgrading to iOS 16.1.

No notification sound since iOS 16.1

Ever since upgrading to iOS 16.1 on my iPhone 12 pro max I no longer receive notification sounds when my phone is locked and the screen is dark. I also reset my settings and that fixed the problem for a while and not is doing the same thing again.

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 3:39 PM

12 replies

Nov 9, 2022 1:04 PM in response to CDG4

Hello Jeff_W,

To isolate this a bit more, we'd recommend updating your iPhone to iOS 16.1.1. This can potentially help us rule out a software issue. You can do that wirelessly, or using a computer with the steps in Update your iPhone or iPad.

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do."

Be sure to install all available app updates after updating the device. How to manually update apps on your Apple device

If you're still not receiving notifications sounds for your apps when the device is locked after updating, please contact Apple Support.

Take care.

Nov 18, 2022 10:08 PM in response to CDG4

Go to settings then passcode on your watch. scroll to the bottom and turn off wrist detection. You'll now have notification sounds on both devices, but you'll lose many cool apple watch features. Apple in their wisdom thinks this is a cool feature to only get notification sounds on the watch or iPhone, not both!

The feature is completely ridiculous as the watch notification sound is limited to a beep, so if you miss it, bad luck! Hmmmmmmmmm

Nov 19, 2022 10:39 AM in response to ShannonM1

This REALLY needs to be fixed. I miss a day's worth of notifications because of this. I have a watch and get haptic notifications, but when I'm deep in work, I don't notice them.

This worked before 16. I've followed internet advice and updated to 16.1.1 and it still does not work. This is either a bug that has not been fixed over multiple updates or one of those arrogant-assed features that Apple implemented because it's what they thought everyone wanted.

In any case, I want it to be back the way it was...getting audio notifications on my phone and haptic on my watch.

Also, Focus sucks. It should be removed entirely or there should be a way to completely opt out of it. Do Not Disturb should be off, but the way the latest update made things look, it's impossible to tell if you actually have it turned on or not.

Please fix this...

Nov 3, 2022 9:15 AM in response to CDG4

Hello CDG4,

With your iPhone, do you also have a paired Apple Watch? We ask because that can influence how notifications can arrive, which are outlined here: Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

And are the notifications appearing on your iPhone and are silent, or are there none at all? Additionally, do you have a Focus enabled on your iPhone? Some of those can silence notifications. Here's details about those: Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2022 11:51 AM in response to CDG4

CDG4,

Are you wearing your watch during the times you're not receiving notification sounds? If so, this would be expected when the iPhone is locked: Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, check to make sure your Silent switch is not turned on as it's an easy thing to miss and can cause this behavior: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support

Take care.

Nov 9, 2022 9:58 AM in response to CDG4

Hello CDG4, 

To confirm, can you answer the following questions?

• Are you missing notification alerts for all of your apps, or does this only seem to happen with certain apps? 
  • When you receive a phone call, do you hear your ringer sound as expected? 
  • Notifications are only silent when your iPhone screen is locked. Notification sounds are played normally when the device is unlocked, is that correct? 

If Do Not Disturb and Focus are disabled, we can continue helping here, or you may want to contact Apple Support directly for more help. 

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2022 5:35 AM in response to racheals14

I’m on 16.1.1 and I’m having the same issue. I’m not the only one with this issue. I’m not getting notifications from certain apps, text, calendar and health apps are working. I received a phone call yesterday and it displayed the number instead of the name in my contacts and it did not use the ringer I have set. I have an Apple Watch and I’m not getting notifications on it either.

I’m not using Focus, DND is not on, it’s not in airplane mode, the notifications are set correctly and I’ve turned my phone off/on multiple times. I’ve logged out of some of my corporate accounts and back in and that fixed some of them. I was actually locked out of my accounts yesterday bc I wasn’t getting the app notification we use for MFA.

No notification alert or sound since upgrading to iOS 16.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.