You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete photos/videos from iCloud but keep them on my Mac hard drive?

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 9:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:02 PM

That is not how iCloud works. iCloud is a sync service designed to keep the libraries across all your devices the same. That means if you use iCloud on your mac, all photos in your synced mac library will also be in iCloud.

One workaround might be to have two libraries - one synced with iCloud. You can then transfer images from that library (via direct import on Monterey or later - or vie export/import in earlier MacOS) into the second library which is not synced with iCloud. Once transferred, verified and backed up, you could then delete the copies from the synced library.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2022 4:02 PM in response to MrsSeals4205

That is not how iCloud works. iCloud is a sync service designed to keep the libraries across all your devices the same. That means if you use iCloud on your mac, all photos in your synced mac library will also be in iCloud.

One workaround might be to have two libraries - one synced with iCloud. You can then transfer images from that library (via direct import on Monterey or later - or vie export/import in earlier MacOS) into the second library which is not synced with iCloud. Once transferred, verified and backed up, you could then delete the copies from the synced library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.