You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

58,76 GB stored movies that don' exist.

I have a MacBookPro 2010 that runs El Capitan. I'm sure I deleted all the iMovie Projects and Events and now I have maximum 1 GB of video. Yet Disk Utility and About this Mac Storage claim that my hard disk has 58,76 GB of movies. I'd be glad to delete those GBs but I don't know where they are. Could you please tell me what to do?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 1:42 PM

Sorry the computer continues to experience issues but at this point there is little more we can do from our remote location.

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2022 1:42 PM in response to ippocampo66

Sorry the computer continues to experience issues but at this point there is little more we can do from our remote location.

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Nov 3, 2022 2:13 AM in response to ippocampo66

Check the Trash bin and make sure it has been emptied.

Where the iMoves stored on an External drive ?

Attach the External Drive and check the Trash Bin again.

Yes, sounds obvious but sometime we ( me too ) forget the obvious.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Or Force a Reindex via Terminal Command “ sudo tmutil -E / “ without Quotation Marks 

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

Nov 8, 2022 9:12 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for your prompt reply. The Trash Bin is empty, a USB that I used to copy a couple of commercial DVDs has the Trash Bin empty when attached, I've never used external drives to store iMovie (I don't know how to do it) and the command: sudo tmutil -E / is not valid for Terminal. So I still have 58,76 GB of "Filmati" (this MacBookPro speaks Italian)!

Nov 9, 2022 12:04 PM in response to PRP_53

Hallo! I had checked the "Other" Storage and didn't find any films, I deleted all the double files and caches from the browsers, dmg. and old apps. No large files were found. I downloaded OmniDiskSweeper which stopped sweeping at 42,6 GB whilst I've used 242 GB. No films found. But apart from these 58,76 GB of "invisible" movies the Mac in question has 23,74 GB of audio (I don't use Garage Band, I only have my iTunes Library). At the same time my MacBookPro M1 of 2020 contains not only the same music library but even more music added later and the About This Mac Storage says 6,75 GB of Music.

58,76 GB stored movies that don' exist.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.