You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Installer Disappeared

I am currently on Big Sur 11.7.1 and trying to upgrade to Monterey.

I used to have the Monterey Installer in my applications folder until Apple made Ventura available. Now the Monterey installer is gone and no matter where I go everything is pointing to Ventura instead.

Can't find it in the App Store either. If some knows a new hidden link to the Monterey installer, can you please let me know and if you can also advise as to how you found it. That would be greatly appreciated and most helpful in the future. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 11:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:27 AM

Terminal command below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.6.1

It will pull the Full Version and place a new Application is Applications folder and will not Auto Launch.

When ready, just launch it like another application and follow the prompts.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Piewacket

Terminal command below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.6.1

It will pull the Full Version and place a new Application is Applications folder and will not Auto Launch.

When ready, just launch it like another application and follow the prompts.

Nov 6, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Piewacket

Piewacket wrote:

Thank you P.Phillip for the terminal command I will try that. Your help is greatly appreciated.

A - You are welcome and thank you too.

Do come back to the Apple Support Communities ( ASC )  in the future, if / or when additional questions may arise

" Is it safe to assume that if I find myself in the same situation in the future, all I need to do is replace the version number in the command? "

A - Yes

This Terminal Command below first

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

It will only List the available Full Version of macOS this computer Qualify to run

Then, Modify the pervious command to correspond to the version in question

Example of a portion of above command :

Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.0, Size: 11866804KiB, Build: 22A380

* Title: macOS Monterey, Version: 12.6.1, Size: 12108491KiB, Build: 21G217

* Title: macOS Monterey, Version: 12.6, Size: 12104042KiB, Build: 21G115

Nov 16, 2022 2:56 AM in response to Piewacket

The sad truth is, the machine will function just fine for some years to come.

Though, not on the latest and greatest software has to offer.

All is not lost though.

Consideration to the Apple Trade-In program now or in the future.

The value of the existing machine against the cost of a new computer.

Not up-sell just presented more options which I have used several times to great satisfaction. iPone 12 Mini to iPhone 14, iMac 2012 to M1 Mac Mini, Intel MBA 2018 to M1 MBA as examples.

Nov 4, 2022 6:33 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thank you very much Ingo2711, really appreciate your quick response. I had not come across this particular article in my searches because I was searching for 'Monterey installer', 'os installer disappeared' and other similar search variations. I came across older articles and the only 2 links for Monterey that I came across and clicked, immediately opened the App Store and presented me with Ventura. Past experience tells me when Apple wants you to move on to the up-to-date app, all references/links to the old app force you to the new app instead. I don't want it to automatically start the upgrade after loading ... so I think I will try the terminal command that P.Phillip has recommended in his response. Thank you again for your assistance.

Nov 4, 2022 6:43 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you P.Phillip for the terminal command I will try that. Your help is greatly appreciated. Is it safe to assume that if I find myself in the same situation in the future, all I need to do is replace the version number in the command? Something just occurred to me that totally skipped my mind(at my age that's not hard to do), I backup using time machine to an external drive so I should be able to go back in the application folder and find the Monterey Installer and restore it?

Thanks again.

Nov 15, 2022 7:56 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you again P. Phillips. This is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I now see that Monterey is the last OS that my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar can accommodate. What a shame as there is absolutely nothing wrong with my machine. Oh well, I'll just have to run it as long as I can before having to break my piggy bank. 😢 Thanks again ... much appreciated. 🙏

Monterey Installer Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.