You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura does not display external disk on Desktop or in Finder sidebar

I have several external disks on both M1 Mini and 2017 Intel iMac.

Since upgrading to Ventura some disks no longer appear either on the Desktop or in the sidebar of Finder windows.

Finder and Desktop preferences have not changed.

Interestingly, it appears to affect only APFS volumes created under previous versions of MacOS.

Experimentation has shown that if the disks are erased and reformatted, then they are visible.

So it looks like some problem with previous versions of APFS which are not completely compatible with Ventura.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 9:47 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 3, 2022 10:12 PM in response to PhantomFrank

Hmm, try as I might, I couldn't duplicate the issue you are having. I have an assortment of external HDDs & SSDs, that were originally formatted in APFS from versions of macOS going back to High Sierra. I just went through connecting them (one-at-a-time) to my Intel Mac mini & M1 MacBook Air, and was able to access them all using the Finder.

FWIW, all of these drives already had data on them, and I did not need to erase/reformat them, to work.

Nov 4, 2022 12:39 AM in response to PhantomFrank

UPDATE: I have found that this affects APFS volumes created in earlier version of Mac OS (not sure how far back). Erasing and reloading the disk makes it visible. so, possibly related to a change in APFS code introduced in Ventura. I have erased and re-created several volumes and in every case they are now visible both on Desktop and in finder sidebar.

Not ideal if you have lots off data you need to reload, but it does resolve the issue.

Ventura does not display external disk on Desktop or in Finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.