You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up my photos from iphoto to icoud drive by using an app

Hi, i would like to back up my photos which are on iphoto, but i wan't to back up them on icloud drive. Because if someone delete photos in iphotos, I could lost them. Is there any soft, doing back up of the iphoto to icloud drive ? Thanks

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 3:23 AM

You could create a folder on iCloud Drive and use "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" to save the originals on iCloud Drive. When exporting, you may want to use the setting "Subfolder format: Moment Name". Then the images will be saved to folders named like the moment - the date and the location, and you can easily find them.

This way you will have additional copies of your photos in iCloud and can recover them, if you accidentally delete a photo. But you are still dependant on the internet to be able to access all your photos. It would not hurt to have a copy on an external drive, so you can access your photos even when the the internet is not working or Apple's Cloud servers are temporarily offline.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2022 3:23 AM in response to feboici

You could create a folder on iCloud Drive and use "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" to save the originals on iCloud Drive. When exporting, you may want to use the setting "Subfolder format: Moment Name". Then the images will be saved to folders named like the moment - the date and the location, and you can easily find them.

This way you will have additional copies of your photos in iCloud and can recover them, if you accidentally delete a photo. But you are still dependant on the internet to be able to access all your photos. It would not hurt to have a copy on an external drive, so you can access your photos even when the the internet is not working or Apple's Cloud servers are temporarily offline.

Nov 7, 2022 2:27 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Thanks. My photos are in Photos apps which is configured to push pictures on icloud (sharing service). Because I don't have enough space on my hard drive and I don't want to save same them on an external hard drive. I want to back up them on cloud (before I was saving them on google drive, manual process by using external drive). But is there any way to back up my photo (which are in Photos (icloud)) to my icloud drive easily ?

Nov 7, 2022 10:31 AM in response to léonie

Job done, I don't think I will keep the subfolder format, as i have many folders then. I will just export all in 1 folder. And do some backup like that. x times per year. I guess 1 day, apple will automatically provide a back up on icloud drive.

Thanks to all anyway. If someone has a better solution, please do not hesitate !

Back up my photos from iphoto to icoud drive by using an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.