You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did text messages to myself start turning green?

I have an iPhone 12 and am using iOS 16.1.

Often I would text message myself with no problems over the years - the messages would all be blue and everything would go through fine.

In the last couple months for reasons I don’t understand, when i send a text message to myself, it now turns green like it is trying to us SMS or or something.

Several messages and media do not even go through. I have checked several different settings and cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this problem. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you resolve it?

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 4:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 6:11 PM

Hi johno_dav

Apple Support have an article online with more info. on the green and blue messages:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? – Apple Support

Seems if wi-fi (blue) is not available for any reason, messages are sent over cellular (green).

As cellular is necessary for sending messages to Android phones, turning it off for messages is generally not practical.

Another article: Set up Messages on iPhone – Apple Support

says:

"Texts you send and receive using iMessage don’t count against your SMS/MMS allowances in your cellular messaging plan,

but cellular data rates may apply."

So here's all the info. on Cellular Settings:

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone – Apple Support

If needed:

Messages Support Team Webpage:

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2022 6:11 PM in response to johno_dave

Hi johno_dav

Apple Support have an article online with more info. on the green and blue messages:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? – Apple Support

Seems if wi-fi (blue) is not available for any reason, messages are sent over cellular (green).

As cellular is necessary for sending messages to Android phones, turning it off for messages is generally not practical.

Another article: Set up Messages on iPhone – Apple Support

says:

"Texts you send and receive using iMessage don’t count against your SMS/MMS allowances in your cellular messaging plan,

but cellular data rates may apply."

So here's all the info. on Cellular Settings:

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone – Apple Support

If needed:

Messages Support Team Webpage:

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

why did text messages to myself start turning green?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.