You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost password keychain

I recently transferred all my files from my old iMac to my new Mac studio. Unfortunately the keychain has not transferred all my passwords. Are these now lost or can i retrieve them?

Mac Studio

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 4:28 PM

Were they in iCloud Keychain and you haven't enabled iCloud Keychain on the new Mac?

If you still have access to the old Mac, you may be able to copy the keychain from the old Mac into the new one, then open that keychain.

keychains are stored in ~/Library/Keychains. While the default keychain name is "login," you can use any name you want. You can't change the name of the default keychain, so rename the one you are copying. From Keychain Access, choose Add keychain from the File menu. If it appears the passwords are in that keychain, you could set it as default. Set the password the same as your login password before setting as default. I haven't done this in about a decade, so not sure if it is possible anymore.

If nothing else, make a copy of the Keychains folder from the old Mac. Someone else may have a more recent experience importing one.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2022 4:28 PM in response to Katharine Crouan

Were they in iCloud Keychain and you haven't enabled iCloud Keychain on the new Mac?

If you still have access to the old Mac, you may be able to copy the keychain from the old Mac into the new one, then open that keychain.

keychains are stored in ~/Library/Keychains. While the default keychain name is "login," you can use any name you want. You can't change the name of the default keychain, so rename the one you are copying. From Keychain Access, choose Add keychain from the File menu. If it appears the passwords are in that keychain, you could set it as default. Set the password the same as your login password before setting as default. I haven't done this in about a decade, so not sure if it is possible anymore.

If nothing else, make a copy of the Keychains folder from the old Mac. Someone else may have a more recent experience importing one.

Lost password keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.