You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ctrl click not giving me the option of opening a document with software of my choice.

This seems to have changed with my update to Ventura yesterday.

I want to be able to open a file in Adobe Acrobat or reader or MS Word.

I no longer have this choice

Is it a bug on my mac or a system change?

iMac 24″, 13.0

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 10:13 PM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2022 1:45 AM in response to Manoora

What type of file is it?

As Barney said, the application must have registered with OS the ability to open this type of file.

The options you get are different for, say, a PDF, or an audio file.

Depending on the file type and application, you may be able to choose Other, then navigate to the desired application. Select “All applications” instead of “Recommended”. This will only work if the application can indeed open that type of file.

Nov 11, 2022 4:37 AM in response to Manoora

These all very conspicuously bear the Dropbox icon... so in all likelihood there is something at play involving DropBox.

You are at the Finder, right? Are these files inside a folder linked to DropBox? (Note: even if they are, this of course does not look normal).

I don't have DropBox installed, so I can't compare. Perhaps the other mac of yours also does not have DropBox?

Ctrl click not giving me the option of opening a document with software of my choice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.