You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone: Select, Cut and Paste Functionality? Why is it not intuitive?

I'm using an iPhone 7 and am having trouble selecting, cutting and pasting in it's applications. I used to have an earlier model and iOS, but it seems this functionality has changed over the years.

Does anyone know how to intuitively perform the above actions?

What I observe:

I place the cursor at the beginning of a word, tap on the cursor again and click "select": the entire word is selected instead of the beginning of the word. This is unexpected. In the past I recall the same action only started the selection where the cursor sits, then I would drag the second side of the selection graphic over the word.

I place the cursor anywhere, then tap the cursor again and click "select all", then the entire text dialog is selected. This seems expected. I then try to click in the middle of the selected text to eliminate the select all action and the result is that nothing occurs, the entire selection remains selected. If I tap twice in the middle of the selection a single word is selected, which is unexpected. I want to exit the select all action.

In Safari's search dialog, I tap once in the spot I want the cursor specifically in the middle of a word and the result is the cursor changes placement to the beginning of the word. I expected the cursor to move to the spot I tapped. It seems to move the cursor to a particular spot, that one needs to continuously hold a finger down and move the cursor.

My additional questions: Did this functionality change between releases of iOS over the past few years? Is there a support article which details exactly how cursor selection, select and select all works?

Thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:45 PM

See if this answers your questions. There have been changes over the years, but this is the latest. Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply

iPhone: Select, Cut and Paste Functionality? Why is it not intuitive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.