You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone 14 with iTunes 12.8.3.1

My new iPhone 14 is not recognized by iTunes 12.8.3.1. According to the iPhone 14 system requirements Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later (free download from itunes.com/download)

I have a Mac mini with High Sierra (10.13.6) and iTune 12.8.3.1 but it does not work.

iPhone 14

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:23 PM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2022 6:27 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello tt2,

Thank you so much. I actually followed your direction from your another post before posting here. My attempt didn't work and hoping/waiting for apple to release the necessary software at this point. Also curious if anyone else had the same problem with iphone 14 and have found a work around.

I have an iPhone 8 with iOS 16 which works flawlessly with the same machine. So, wondering if this is an iPhone 14 issue exclusively.

Nov 14, 2022 3:42 AM in response to shipu7la

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Nov 15, 2022 6:36 AM in response to shipu7la

Okay, finally got it to work. Thank you Apple Tech support (Robert) for graciously helping me out.

1. Connect your phone to your Mac via USB cable directly.
  2. Press volume up once, volume down once then, press and hold the power button (for iphone 14 usually 45 seconds or less) until your computer pop up a screen saying your phone needs to be updated.
  3. Click yes to updating the phone's software.
  4. Once updated, it may be required to restore phone from the backup (I had to because my backup was in the same computer).

Hope this helps.

Syncing iPhone 14 with iTunes 12.8.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.