You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home app

Is anyone having issues with automations in the new Home

App?  Ever since the 16 iOS update some of my automations are not working - and it's a different automation each time, it's not consistent which automation works or does not work??? Frustrating!

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 6:30 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 15, 2022 4:43 PM in response to Greg Vrchoticky

Hi Greg Vrchoticky,

A good first step is ensuring that all your devices, including the Home Hub, are running the latest version of software and all accessories have updated firmware. Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub offers the following:

"If your home hub isn't working as expected

It’s also important to note whether or not the automations in question are triggered by location, Siri, or manually activated, as that will help assess further potential troubleshooting steps.

Regards.

Nov 16, 2022 7:31 AM in response to KMB_12

A good first step is ensuring that all your devices, including the Home Hub, are running the latest version of software and all accessories have updated firmware. Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub offers the following: My HUB is the Apple Homepod Mini with Belkin SOUNDFORM Airplay 2 adapter. This set up has been working without fail since Summer 2021.

"If your home hub isn't working as expected

• Check that your HomePodHomePod miniApple TV, or iPad is up to date. HomePod Mini is running 16.1 and the Belkin has the latest firmware.
  • Make sure that the user signed in to iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV is the primary Home app user, and not an invited user. I'm the primary
  • Turn on iCloud Keychain and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID. This was not need in the past, why now?
  • Check that the device that you set up as a home hub is in your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network, and powered on." This was set for a second home location, I thought I heard a rumor that the HomePod mini has a hub might be an issue since the update to ios 16..?

It’s also important to note whether or not the automations in question are triggered by location, Siri, or manually activated, as that will help assess further potential troubleshooting steps. All setting are time based automations.

Nov 26, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Greg Vrchoticky

Elsewhere here I observed hundreds are reporting similar difficulties since upgrading to iOS 16.

My workaround that I seem to be having luck with is to only use simplified Automations as triggers for Scenes. (I suspect elaborate Automations get confused and won’t always work in iOS 16.)

First I deleted my ineffective Automation. Then, I use Scenes to create the end result I want. I finally create an Automation whose only purpose is to trigger the Scene I want.

Example: At home with security disarmed, when someone uses my home’s doors I like to hear a car-alarm single chirp when it opens, and a double-chirp when it closes. So I created two ‘Scenes’ (“Door Open” and “Door Close”): I have HomePod play the relevant ‘song’ from a sound-effect album in my Music library. Then I created an Automation so when my Aqara door sensor detects an open door, it triggers the Scene to play the correct chirp ‘Scene’ on HomePod. (It’s actually also simpler than setting up separate lengthy Automations for every door—the Scenes playing the chirp can be used for multiple Automations, one Automation trigger for each door.)

Fred

Nov 26, 2022 5:35 PM in response to Fred Thorne

Nearly every one of my automations just triggers a scene like you mentioned your workaround and I am still having issues when I disable an automation (because we are going out of town and I don't need my moving lights coming on) but then when I get back home and re-enable the automation nothing happens. If you disable the simple scene trigger automation and re-enable it after a bit it will likely not work (especially if they are time based).

Nov 26, 2022 5:40 PM in response to ryane77

Can anyone contact on that link. Ever since updating to 16.x on my iPhone and AppleTV (my home hub) if I disable an automation it will not work when re-enabled. This is the case for both the time based automations I have disabled and the location based ones. I have 7 time based automations that have stopped working because I disabled them thanksgiving morning. I will now have to delete and reconstruct the entire automated morning routine of my house because of the unreliability that has come into HomeKit Automations, so sadly this year I am not thankful for them.

home app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.