You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reconfigure time machine backup

My Seagate backup drive wasn't working. I took off my Time Machine backup off my mac, thinking I could redownload it. I can't do that. How do I get Time Machine back on my computer?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 2:14 PM

I think you may simply have removed that backup disk from Time Machine. You can add it again: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support. Step 2.

Since the backup drive stopped working, when Time Machine attempts to back up to it again it may fail again. You can try "repairing" it with Disk Utility.

Otherwise, erase it and start a new set of backups on that disk. It may continue to work for a long time. Replace it with a known working drive prior to erasing it. The backups it contains may still be viable in the event you need them.

This may help explain your other question: I deleted time machine off my computer… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2022 2:14 PM in response to a1di3rs3n

I think you may simply have removed that backup disk from Time Machine. You can add it again: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support. Step 2.

Since the backup drive stopped working, when Time Machine attempts to back up to it again it may fail again. You can try "repairing" it with Disk Utility.

Otherwise, erase it and start a new set of backups on that disk. It may continue to work for a long time. Replace it with a known working drive prior to erasing it. The backups it contains may still be viable in the event you need them.

This may help explain your other question: I deleted time machine off my computer… - Apple Community

Reconfigure time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.