You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages with and without columns in book

I have created a book (180 pages) using Pages with the layout being word processing. After the first two or three pages I created two columns per page but I believe that has created a new section for all the following pages. I have now noticed two blank pages in the middle of the document that do not have columns. I can’t simply backspace from the next page because there are no columns on those blank pages. Nor can I delete the two blank pages as they are part of the much bigger section and I will lose everything I have done. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 1:23 AM

Hi HelenPamela,

Don't insert column breaks. Let Pages do the work.

Select the paragraphs that you want to display in two columns. Here is some nonsense text to illustrate the method.

Format Panel > Text > Layout > Columns.

Change Columns to 2. Pages will automatically insert the column breaks.

You may want to inset some returns (paragraph breaks) to improve the appearance.

Happy Paging!

Ian.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2022 1:23 AM in response to HelenPamela

Hi HelenPamela,

Don't insert column breaks. Let Pages do the work.

Select the paragraphs that you want to display in two columns. Here is some nonsense text to illustrate the method.

Format Panel > Text > Layout > Columns.

Change Columns to 2. Pages will automatically insert the column breaks.

You may want to inset some returns (paragraph breaks) to improve the appearance.

Happy Paging!

Ian.

Nov 19, 2022 3:04 PM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks very much Ian. That was my novice mistake - formatting the columns when initially creating the document instead of formatting after entering the text. I'll know next time. For now the entire document which has taken 2 years to create (the book) has too many parts to start formatting it all again. I have about 10 pages at different places where I have created 'watermarks' (over the entire page) for double page spreads and then put text boxes over those pages endeavouring to keep the flow of the text from previous pages not in text boxes. All a bit tricky for me! Anyway, I think I can just ask the printer to remove the blank pages or remove when converted to a pdf. Thanks again for your advice, it was very useful and will be in the near future when I start my next family history book!

Regards

Helen

Pages with and without columns in book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.