You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Not Sending Text Messages

My macbook air (2017) is up to date and everything but it won't send texts to anyone outside of Iphone Users (Imessage). I've tried restarting and setting up my texts again through my Apple ID and nothing fixes it.

Could someone tell me why it's not sending them or what I can do to fix it?

Most of my family uses android phones and when I'm on my laptop, I've got to be able to respond to them. My phone works fine BTW. It's just my computer. :/

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 7:44 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2022 7:28 AM in response to kathirine94

Hello kathirine94,

Thanks for your post to Apple Support Communities. We understand you want to be able to send and receive SMS (green) text messages on your iPhone. We'll walk through steps that should accomplish what you'd like. First, be aware that SMS text messages are through your carrier. iMessage or MMS (blue) text messages are associated with your Apple ID and can be sent and received on your Mac once you've signed in with your Apple ID.

In order to receive SMS text messages on your MacBook Air, you will have to set it text message forwarding from your iPhone to your Mac. We'll use steps from this article: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

On your Mac:

1. Open Messages
  2. Choose the Messages menu > Settings > iMessage tab
    1. Confirm the Apple ID shown logged in is the same one on your iPhone

On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding
  2. Confirm your MacBook Air shows and is enabled

If you need to confirm you are logged in with the same Apple ID on your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. These steps should allow SMS text messages to forward from your iPhone when they come in to your MacBook Air in the Messages app. Reply back with any concerns.

Take care.

Macbook Air Not Sending Text Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.