You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 text alert not sounding intermittently

My iPhone 12 does not sound the text notification intermittently. I have 2 iPhone 12's and have compared all of the settings related to notifications. The problem is intermittent and clears if I turn the phone off and on. I have not tried turning off Bluetooth as some recommend because the phone is used to monitor a health condition.

The phone is updated to iOS 16.1.1. The problem has been intermittent since the phone was new and through many iOS updates.

This problem is just getting old...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 5:59 PM

3 replies

Nov 20, 2022 5:22 PM in response to JohnJE1957

Hello JohnJE1957,

Thanks for verifying that information.

Is it specific threads? Mute only that one thread is possible, and multiple threads or even contacts can be muted. Check for a crescent moon on contacts, or specific threads:

Use Messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Turn on Hide Alerts

1. Open Messages.
  2. Swipe left over the conversation that you want to mute.
  3. Tap the Alerts button .
  • When Hide Alerts is on, the Alerts button  appears next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock Screen."

If these steps do not help, please contact Apple Support to investigate this further: Apple Support

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2022 2:36 PM in response to JohnJE1957

Hello JohnJE1957,

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Does the issue only happen with notifications for the Messages app, or do you experience issues with notifications for other apps as well?

2. You mentioned that the notification sound doesn't play; do you receive badge or banner notifications successfully?

That information will help us plan how to proceed.

Please also check out the following link, which will guide you through how to review and manage notification settings, which may help: Change notification settings on iPhone

Change notification settings on iPhone

In Settings , choose which apps can send notifications, change the alert sound, set up location-based alerts, allow government alerts, and more.

Change notification settings

Most notification settings can be customized for each app. You can turn app notifications on or off, have notifications play a sound, choose how and where you want app notifications to appear when your device is unlocked, and more.

1. Go to Settings  > Notifications.
2. Choose how you want notifications displayed on the Lock Screen:

• View just the number of notifications: Tap Count.
• View the notifications grouped into stacks by app: Tap Stack.
• View the notifications in a list: Tap List.

When notifications arrive, you can change the layout by pinching the notifications on the Lock Screen.

3. To schedule a notifications summary, tap Scheduled Summary, then turn on Scheduled Summary.

Select the apps you want notifications for in your summary, set a time for delivery of your summary, then tap the Back button at the top left. (See schedule a notifications summary.)

4. To choose when you want notification previews to appear, tap Show Previews, select an option—Always, When Unlocked, or Never—then tap the Back button at the top left.

Previews can include things like text (from Messages and Mail) and invitation details (from Calendar). You can override this setting for individual apps.

5. Tap an app below Notification Style, then turn Allow Notifications on or off.

If you turn on Allow Notifications, choose when you want the notifications delivered—immediately or in the scheduled notifications summary—and turn Time Sensitive Notifications on or off.

For many apps, you can also set a notification banner style and turn sounds and badges on or off.

6. Tap Notification Grouping, then choose how you want the notifications grouped:

• Automatic: The notifications from the app are grouped according to organizing criteria within the app, such as by topic or thread.
• By App: All the notifications from the app are grouped together.
• Off: Turn off grouping.

To turn off notifications selectively for apps, go to Settings > Notifications > Siri Suggestions, then turn off any app.

When you use Focus, it delays the delivery of notifications on iPhone to prevent interruptions. You can schedule a time to receive a summary of the notifications you missed. See Schedule a notification summary.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Brittany1416

Brittany1416

Thank you for your response to my question / problem.

Question One:

We are retired so we do not get notifications from any other app, so I will say that it is only with the message app.

Question 2:

Yes, a banner is displayed on the lock screen indicating a new txt, just no sound.

I have verified that the message app has notifications enabled, the problem is intermittent so that somewhat rules out a notification setting.

Today I looked through the "Focus" settings. I did discover that a schedule was setup. But Focus was off, and the schedule was set to activate at 10 PM through 7 AM.

iPhone 12 text alert not sounding intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.