You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to MacOS. How change folder locations or icons for secondary drive

Hey,

So I just got my 1st Mac (Mac Studio M1 Max - Ventura).

I have the built in SSD then 2 SSDs connected to my HD enclosure. Initially I wanted to change the Pictures, Music and Downloads folders on the sidebar in Finder to point to a location called the same on my external drives, as I am only using the onboard SSD for OS and programs.

I've searched around, and that doesn't seem possible?

My work around has been to just create the said folders on correct drives and then drag them into the sidebar - I've managed this so far. However, I notice the folder icons both in finder and the icons on the sidebar are not the same as they are if set to the default drive. Can I change these icons to make it suit?

I understand you can click get info then change icons on top left, but it doesn't give you the option to choose the MacOs icons or folders I am looking for. Copy & paste doesn't work with those either.

This may seem pernikity but I'd like it this way. It's easily done on Windows.

TIA.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 11:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 3:21 AM

You can drag any folder to the Sidebar.

Do not confuse the Sidebar items with the folders they point to. Think of them like aliases or shortcuts.

Inside your home folder there are folders called Pictures, Movies, Music, etc.

These are the default locations for stuff like your Photos library, etc.

But that's just what they are: defaults. You can drag your Photos library to a "Pictures" folder on an external drive, and you can save files there too (*).

If what you want is to manually save file inside these folders, just do that; and of course access these folders from the Sidebar if you have dragged them there.

Applications like Music and Photos organize their content in libraries, and these are, by default, on the internal folders Music and Pictures, but you can start them holding down the Option key, choose the library you want, and make the new default.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2022 3:21 AM in response to amcllelan

You can drag any folder to the Sidebar.

Do not confuse the Sidebar items with the folders they point to. Think of them like aliases or shortcuts.

Inside your home folder there are folders called Pictures, Movies, Music, etc.

These are the default locations for stuff like your Photos library, etc.

But that's just what they are: defaults. You can drag your Photos library to a "Pictures" folder on an external drive, and you can save files there too (*).

If what you want is to manually save file inside these folders, just do that; and of course access these folders from the Sidebar if you have dragged them there.

Applications like Music and Photos organize their content in libraries, and these are, by default, on the internal folders Music and Pictures, but you can start them holding down the Option key, choose the library you want, and make the new default.

Nov 20, 2022 6:16 AM in response to amcllelan

The icons in your home folder are “dynamically” created on those folders because they are in the home folder. If you were to look inside another user’s home, you don’t see those badges.

You can create custom icons on other folders by dragging a picture onto the icon well at the top of a Get Info window, but the home folder icons are not really "embedded" into the folders. Also, I don’t think the custom icons show in the sidebar.

It is possible to create Symbolic Links of some of those folders in Home. You should not do that for Desktop and Documents. I don't know what would happen if you did replace the Pictures, Music, Movies with symbolic links. My hunch would be the icons would be dynamically updated just as the others are, but not willing to try.

Many apps can be set to store their libraries somewhere other than default. The Photos Library must be on a Mac formatted drive, and possibly APFS only, now. Music and TV can also be set to store the data on an external drive.

New to MacOS. How change folder locations or icons for secondary drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.