You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Air Cover Prevents Lid From Closing All the Way — Is That Okay?

Hello! I recently bought a case for my Macbook Air M1 (A2337), the kind that has two components made of hard plastic: one that snaps onto the lid, and another that snaps onto the bottom. I'm currently assessing whether it would be more beneficial or counterproductive to my laptop — I'm an accident-prone student and I need to keep my MacBook Air safe for as long as I can, but if the case harms more than prevents harm, then I'd much rather take it off.

I've noticed that the things that keep the case on my laptop (the thicker bits of plastic "hugging" the edges, I'm sorry I don't know what they're called) prevent the lid from making full contact with the bottom. Closing the lid still puts the MacBook on sleep, and the gap between the lid is noticeable but not too severe. I'm scared that the case would negatively affect my computer in the long run, and I'd love some advice from people who know the hardware better. Would it be okay to keep the case on? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 8:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 9:48 PM

Hello!

If the case is preventing your MacBook Air from closing properly, I would recommend you remove the case. There is a collection of cases for MacBook Air (M1, 2020) sold in the Apple Store that may be better fitted for your model:

Cases & Protection - Mac Accessories - Apple.

However, I personally don't use a case or any additional physical protection on my MacBook Air. I have AppleCare+ for any accidental damage:

AppleCare Products - Apple.

Enjoy your MacBook Air!!

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2022 9:48 PM in response to erraticism

Hello!

If the case is preventing your MacBook Air from closing properly, I would recommend you remove the case. There is a collection of cases for MacBook Air (M1, 2020) sold in the Apple Store that may be better fitted for your model:

Cases & Protection - Mac Accessories - Apple.

However, I personally don't use a case or any additional physical protection on my MacBook Air. I have AppleCare+ for any accidental damage:

AppleCare Products - Apple.

Enjoy your MacBook Air!!

Jack

New MacBook Air Cover Prevents Lid From Closing All the Way — Is That Okay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.