You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.7 running slow

Hi,

Since I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my 2013 Mac, it is VERY slow to startup, and Google takes over a minute to launch. Everything seems to be slow. I checked the memory (16GB in two 8GB slots) and there doesn't seem to be much in use.

Any ideas welcome.

iMac

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 7:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 7:23 PM

MarkySparky5000 Said:

"Catalina 10.15.7 running slow: Hi, Since I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my 2013 Mac, it is VERY slow to startup, and Google takes over a minute to launch. Everything seems to be slow. I checked the memory (16GB in two 8GB slots) and there doesn't seem to be much in use. Any ideas welcome."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2022 7:23 PM in response to MarkySparky5000

MarkySparky5000 Said:

"Catalina 10.15.7 running slow: Hi, Since I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my 2013 Mac, it is VERY slow to startup, and Google takes over a minute to launch. Everything seems to be slow. I checked the memory (16GB in two 8GB slots) and there doesn't seem to be much in use. Any ideas welcome."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 21, 2022 4:20 AM in response to a brody

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

I have run Etrecheck and it reports only minor issues, which I reviewed. I don't understand most of the techy stuff but I did get rid of one defunct application, as it suggested.

The app I deleted is Lightroom photo editing. It worked perfectly on an older Mac but won't run on this one unless I subscribe, which I don't intend to do.

Where should I send the report?

Again, thanks for your help, though it doesn't seem to have made any difference re the slowness (I'll reboot though and check).

Catalina 10.15.7 running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.