You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Care on a used MacBook Pro

I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished Mac book Pro2018 it comes with a 90 day guarantee from Amazon.

Is it possible to add on to my apple care plus when the warranty is up on the Mac Book pro from Amazon

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 9:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 5:45 PM

Read the fine print on that guarantee. Most vendors require you to utilize a specific repair shop or service which may not be authorized by the manufacturer of that device. You only want Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to repair a 2018+ Mac due to Apple pairing parts to one another which only Apple or AASP can do. Some repairs can be performed by an unauthorized repair shop or service, but you may lose some functionality of the Mac.

Also, be very careful buying a used Mac from unknown & untrustworthy sources. If the Mac is not properly prepared for resale, then the previous owner may still control & manage the Mac (not always obvious at first), or the Mac may have a firmware lock. None of these issues can be resolved except by the original owner of the Mac. Plus there are a lot of disreputable sellers online with some of them selling on Amazon. I highly recommend you only purchase a used computer from a reputable vendor (Amazon allows third parties to sell on their platform and these third parties are not always reputable).

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2022 5:45 PM in response to kathyfromverdi

Read the fine print on that guarantee. Most vendors require you to utilize a specific repair shop or service which may not be authorized by the manufacturer of that device. You only want Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to repair a 2018+ Mac due to Apple pairing parts to one another which only Apple or AASP can do. Some repairs can be performed by an unauthorized repair shop or service, but you may lose some functionality of the Mac.

Also, be very careful buying a used Mac from unknown & untrustworthy sources. If the Mac is not properly prepared for resale, then the previous owner may still control & manage the Mac (not always obvious at first), or the Mac may have a firmware lock. None of these issues can be resolved except by the original owner of the Mac. Plus there are a lot of disreputable sellers online with some of them selling on Amazon. I highly recommend you only purchase a used computer from a reputable vendor (Amazon allows third parties to sell on their platform and these third parties are not always reputable).

Apple Care on a used MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.