You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to print to a wireless printer using iphone hotspot

I can't figure out how to print to a Canon Imageclass MF232w from my iphone using the hotspot.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 4:23 PM

Hi,

The Canon MF232w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer can be used without an additional app, provided that the iPhone and the printer are connected to the same network. Usually, this is your home or office Wi-Fi network provided by a Wi-Fi router.

An iPhone personal hotspot is not a normal router, and is not intended for local networking.

A dedicated mobile broadband router (sometimes also called a personal/portable hotspot) should have the ability to handle local Wi-Fi networking.

If there is no existing Wi-Fi network (router) where you want to print from the iPhone to the Canon MF232w, almost any (even an old/spare) Wi-Fi router could be used. The interesting part is the local (WLAN/LAN) side. The WAN (Internet) side does not have to be connected. You would simply set up a private Wi-Fi network for printing purposes only.

There are also travel routers without mobile broadband (similar to the example at https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/) that should work.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2022 4:23 PM in response to clairefrombardwell

Hi,

The Canon MF232w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer can be used without an additional app, provided that the iPhone and the printer are connected to the same network. Usually, this is your home or office Wi-Fi network provided by a Wi-Fi router.

An iPhone personal hotspot is not a normal router, and is not intended for local networking.

A dedicated mobile broadband router (sometimes also called a personal/portable hotspot) should have the ability to handle local Wi-Fi networking.

If there is no existing Wi-Fi network (router) where you want to print from the iPhone to the Canon MF232w, almost any (even an old/spare) Wi-Fi router could be used. The interesting part is the local (WLAN/LAN) side. The WAN (Internet) side does not have to be connected. You would simply set up a private Wi-Fi network for printing purposes only.

There are also travel routers without mobile broadband (similar to the example at https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/) that should work.

Nov 26, 2022 6:32 PM in response to clairefrombardwell

You're welcome!

By the way, AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. Since your printer model has Ethernet in addition to Wi-Fi, you could choose to wire it to one of the LAN ports of the router (instead of using a wireless connection). Normally, with routers for home use, the wireless and wired sections are bridged, so wired and wireless computers/devices can communicate with each other.

If there is a problem with device discovery with AirPrint, the following power-cycle procedure may help:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Do not hesitate to post back with any questions. If so, you may want to mention the exact router model used.

Good luck with your experiment!

Nov 27, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, thank you for the additional information. I was able to print from my iPhone at one time but lost the connection. Since I have no internet connection other than my phone, I don’t know how I was able to do that. I must’ve had a wi-fi connection set up on my computer via the hotspot or something. Is that a possibility? Thank you.

Nov 27, 2022 11:22 AM in response to clairefrombardwell

>I was able to print from my iPhone at one time but lost the connection.

Was this earlier, or have you now tested an old Wi-Fi router (without the WAN/Internet side connected)?

Connecting via a router is the normal way when using AirPrint.

However, the Canon user's guide (https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300025074/05/MF244dw_UsersGuide_usEN_4.pdf) on page 152 appears to indicate that a direct connection could be possible. Unfortunately, the information in this manual is not very clear.

Do you have some kind of Canon or third-party iOS app for printing installed on the iPhone?

how to print to a wireless printer using iphone hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.