You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I delete a message on either my iPhone or iPad, the message isn't deleted from MacBook. Is there a setting to synch all 3 devices?

When I delete a message on either my iPhone or iPad, the message isn't deleted from MacBook. Is there a setting to synch all 3 devices?

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 6:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 4:42 PM

chuckfromchapel hill, 

If syncing messages via iCloud is a feature that has just been set up, are you able to test whether this is happening with both newly received messages (since setting it up) and older messages that existed prior to setting it all up? 

Access your messages on all your Apple devices

If this is just being setup on your Mac, here is another step we can take - 

“After you turn on Messages in iCloud, your messages stay up to date automatically. If you want to make sure a new change takes effect immediately, choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, click Settings, then click Sync Now.”

Thanks. 

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2022 4:42 PM in response to chuckfromchapel hill

chuckfromchapel hill, 

If syncing messages via iCloud is a feature that has just been set up, are you able to test whether this is happening with both newly received messages (since setting it up) and older messages that existed prior to setting it all up? 

Access your messages on all your Apple devices

If this is just being setup on your Mac, here is another step we can take - 

“After you turn on Messages in iCloud, your messages stay up to date automatically. If you want to make sure a new change takes effect immediately, choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, click Settings, then click Sync Now.”

Thanks. 

Dec 3, 2022 12:00 PM in response to BrianK90

I have carefully followed the very clear directions in the link you provided. I have also made sure I am on the current software versions of macOS Monterey 12.6.1, iPadOS 16.1.1, and iOS 16.1.2. I am signed onto all three devices using the same Apple ID and have set all three devices to sync messages in iCloud. Here's my problem: when I delete a message on either the iPad Pro (10.5 Model A1701) or iPhone 12 Pro, the message is deleted on all three devices. However, when I delete a message on the MacBook Pro 2016 w/touch bar, the message is not deleted on the either the iPad or iPhone. I must be missing a step, but I can't find it.

Dec 5, 2022 8:58 AM in response to AnnieL2

I have read all the articles, followed all recommended steps, and tests. However, when I delete a message either most recent or very old message from the MacBook, the message only deletes from the MacBook, not the iPad. If I delete a message from the iPad (recent or old), the message also deletes from the MacBook. I can only conclude that there is still a problem with syncing between MacBook and other devices if initiated on the Mac, but not from the other direction. My solution for now is to delete messages only from the iPad if I want to keep the MacBook in synch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.