You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot mention or tag anyone in my text message

I checked my contact list and there is no emoji next to their names.

It used to work before, but after upgrading to iOS 16 it stopped working.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 3:53 PM

This does not work. I have tried all solutions and confirm there is a bug with the mention/tag feature. Sometimes the mention popup comes and disappears instantly without reason. This is a bug as some friends experience this as well.

Enabling Predictive or auto-correction in keyboard settings makes it working again but both of these are annoying features.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2022 3:53 PM in response to Drew_7

This does not work. I have tried all solutions and confirm there is a bug with the mention/tag feature. Sometimes the mention popup comes and disappears instantly without reason. This is a bug as some friends experience this as well.

Enabling Predictive or auto-correction in keyboard settings makes it working again but both of these are annoying features.

Nov 30, 2022 11:48 AM in response to bdhar

Hello bdhar,

We'll need you to clarify the issue you're experiencing with Messages on your iPhone in order for us to help.

Are you trying to reply to a specific person in the messages app with an inline reply? If so, you'll want to be sure you're following these steps: Reply to specific messages on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2022 12:33 PM in response to bdhar

bdhar,

To ensure this feature is working as expected it will be necessary to ensure those in your group message are also using iMessage and are up-to-date. If you experience an issue sending or receiving messages in general on your iPhone we recommend following these steps: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This article can be recommended to anyone iMessage is not working as expected for.

Cheers!

Cannot mention or tag anyone in my text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.