You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iphone 12 need a software update to be able to have cellular service?

Why does my iphone 12 need a software update to be able to have cellular service?

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 12:04 AM

Hi MarinBayArean

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If you mean an update from your carrier:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

says:

"Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings

to improve cellular network connectivity and performance. 

Carrier settings updates can also add support for new features like 5G or Wi-Fi Calling".

If you mean an iPhone iOS software update:

It would seem the carrier software and iPhone software need to remain compatible, so they work together.

Apple recommend we use the newest compatible software update with our computers / devices.

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2022 12:04 AM in response to MarinBayArean

Hi MarinBayArean

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If you mean an update from your carrier:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

says:

"Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings

to improve cellular network connectivity and performance. 

Carrier settings updates can also add support for new features like 5G or Wi-Fi Calling".

If you mean an iPhone iOS software update:

It would seem the carrier software and iPhone software need to remain compatible, so they work together.

Apple recommend we use the newest compatible software update with our computers / devices.

All the best :-)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.