You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to stop Apple mail from sending follow up messages?

Is there a way to stop Apple mail from sending follow up messages? I hate it. And you have to let the follow up messages sit in your Inbox for some length of time before deleting it or it will just keep sending the same message to you.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 11:31 AM

Greetings Dallas KD,

You can definitely turn off the feature to be reminded to follow up with emails. Just follow the steps found here:

Reply to, forward, or follow up on emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

"Get reminded to follow up on emails with no response

If you send a message and don’t receive a response in 3 days, the sent email automatically resurfaces to the top of your inbox to help you remember to follow up.

• To ignore a follow-up suggestion, swipe right on the message in the message list.
  • To turn this feature on or off, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then select or deselect the checkbox next to 'Enable message follow up suggestions.'"

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2022 11:31 AM in response to Dallas KD

Greetings Dallas KD,

You can definitely turn off the feature to be reminded to follow up with emails. Just follow the steps found here:

Reply to, forward, or follow up on emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

"Get reminded to follow up on emails with no response

If you send a message and don’t receive a response in 3 days, the sent email automatically resurfaces to the top of your inbox to help you remember to follow up.

• To ignore a follow-up suggestion, swipe right on the message in the message list.
  • To turn this feature on or off, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then select or deselect the checkbox next to 'Enable message follow up suggestions.'"

Take care.

Dec 1, 2022 11:59 AM in response to Dustin_R_308

That link is not helpful. It simply tells you how to send replies or forward a message. This problem is with the "follow up" messages. Apple apparently uses some algorithm to select messages that you have sent to a third party and it sends that same message back to your Inbox with a header telling you to follow up on the message because no response has been received. In all of the messages I've received like this I didn't expect a response, but I have to deal with these messages cluttering my Inbox. It is a pain in the you know where and I see no way to turn it off.

Is there a way to stop Apple mail from sending follow up messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.