You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I stop pasting URL from safari to mail being changed into an image

When I copy a URL from safari address bar and paste it into an email it is changed into a image with a link in some cases.

For example https://discuss.python.org/ will do this when pasted, but not if I type it into an email.

How do I turn off this behaviour?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 2:10 AM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2022 3:38 PM in response to AnnieL2

I have an iPad Air (5th generation) running iPadOS 16.1.1 (20B101).

If you follow my reproduction steps you will see the image appear.

1. Browse to https://discuss.python.org/ in safari
  2. Copy the URL from the address bar
  3. In mail create a new message
  4. paste the URL
  • first the text of the URL is shown with a cog wheel spinning beside it
  • then the text is replaced by an image that, when clicked, will take you to https://discuss.python.org/
  • But its made the size of the email huge becuase of the image that is not embedded in the email.

I had emails blocked for moderation becuase of the huge size that the images add to what should have been simple text URL.

I just found that I can tap the image and get a pop up that says "Covert to plain" and "Show Link Preview".

I want to turn off this "Link preview" as the default.

Dec 2, 2022 11:20 AM in response to Barry_a_s

Good day to you Barry_a_s, 

It would be helpful if you could let us know what type of image you’re seeing. Is it an image from the website itself, a general attachment image or something different? In both scenarios, typing and pasting, does tapping the link take you to the same place? 

Your profile shows we’re working with an iPad (5th generation). Is it running the latest iPadOS version available? You can verify in Settings > General > Software Update. If not, please install any available updates after making a backup. 

Also, just to be sure the behavior is the same, are you cutting or copying from the Safari URL bar? Might there be any other common situations when this happens such as, in a fowarded email, always to one specific contact or email service provider, if you have multiple email accounts set up does it happen when sending from a specific account? Anything we can use to isolate the situation could be useful. 

It almost sounds like the Mail app may be showing a preview of the link in the Mail app. When you paste the link, do you see a small down arrow at the end of the link that if you tap it says “Show Link Preview” or if a link shows a preview and you tap the preview, does an small down arrow appear on the right hand side of the preview where you can tap it and have the option to open the link or convert to a plain link? 

Thanks. 

how can I stop pasting URL from safari to mail being changed into an image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.