You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot update software. I have an IMAC M1 with no password because personal computer at home. Update refuses because there is no password on computer. I don't want password protection on this computer. How to force update?

Update available for a week and will not install because there is no password on this computer. How to update software if I don't password protect? I can do other installs including major browser installs without password, but not this latest update. Help!

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 3:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 8:20 AM

I am sorry to tell you what when you set up your computer you entered a password. All Macs have them. Some do not require that the password be entered upon restart, depending on how it's optioned in System Preferences. A password needs to be entered to install a new operating system. What you need to do is reset the Mac's password. See the link below. Then write it down somewhere secure and save it.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2022 8:20 AM in response to scvoter

I am sorry to tell you what when you set up your computer you entered a password. All Macs have them. Some do not require that the password be entered upon restart, depending on how it's optioned in System Preferences. A password needs to be entered to install a new operating system. What you need to do is reset the Mac's password. See the link below. Then write it down somewhere secure and save it.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

I cannot update software. I have an IMAC M1 with no password because personal computer at home. Update refuses because there is no password on computer. I don't want password protection on this computer. How to force update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.