You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail not blocking or running rules on AOL

Hi All,

I create rules in Mail to move junk AOL emails that don't automatically get filtered into junk or trash. Since an upgrade (13.0.1 (22A400)) to Ventura last week, Mail no longer automatically filters or runs these rules successfully. Each failure throws an error like this:

Mail was unable to open this mailbox on the server “p39-imap.mail.me.com”.

The server returned the error: Mailbox does not exist

I thought I'd sidestep the issue by doing a Block Contact on these emails but Apple Mail is still delivering them into my AOL inbox, just with the blocked contact logo on them.

Step I took previously:

1. Deleted and re-connected to AOL mail. (I'm using the standard AOL settings.)

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Should I just use Time Machine to roll back OS and Mail? I haven't done so yet.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 6:52 AM

" Mail was unable to open this mailbox on the server “p39-imap.mail.me.com”. that indicates the user is configured the Mail Application to connect to an iCloud Account offered by Apple

Refer to below link regarding the transition Apple has gone through as related to Domain Names used in the last and present

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com and @mac.com email addresses

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2022 6:52 AM in response to Basho1990

" Mail was unable to open this mailbox on the server “p39-imap.mail.me.com”. that indicates the user is configured the Mail Application to connect to an iCloud Account offered by Apple

Refer to below link regarding the transition Apple has gone through as related to Domain Names used in the last and present

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com and @mac.com email addresses

Dec 3, 2022 7:37 AM in response to Basho1990

They can be both in Apple Mail Application for each Account if configured with the specific and required settings.

Some people have Multi E-mail accounts from more than one Mail Server and all in the Mail Application.

As for the Rules the User created - that would be specific to which Account they are written for.

Apple mail not blocking or running rules on AOL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.