You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't limit screen time for my 14 year old kids

Hello,

I've spoken to Apple Support several times --- no one can figure this out. My twins got their first iPhone last week and they're 14 years old.

I added them to "Family Sharing". When I click screen time under "Family Sharing", their names don't come up--- only a screen that says, "Create an Account for a Child". I think their names are missing because they're over 13 years old.

How can I limit screen time for my 14 year olds (they're listed as adults). My brother limits screen time for his 15 year old but my newphew's account was created when he was 9 years old.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 11:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 4:27 PM

Hi thanks for your response but that doesn't answer my question. How can I limit screen time for my 14 year old twins (they're listed as adults in their profiles)? Their birthday is correct--- Apple won't allow me to include them in screentime on my phone because they are over 13.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 7, 2022 7:01 PM in response to pwollyapple

Hello pwollyapple,

With their age being 14, you should be able to set up Screen Time without any issues. You can also try setting it up directly from their iPhones using the following guidance from Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPhone - Apple Support.

"Set downtime and app limits on a family member’s device

1. On your family member’s device, go to Settings > Screen Time.
  2. Tap Turn On Screen Time, tap Continue, then tap This is My Child’s iPhone.
  3. To schedule downtime for your family member (time away from the screen), enter the start and end times, then tap Set Downtime.
  4. To set limits for categories of apps you want to manage for your family member (for example, Games or Social Networking), select the categories.

To see all the categories, tap Show All Categories.

5. Tap Set, enter an amount of time, then tap Set App Limit.

6. Tap Continue, then enter a Screen Time passcode for managing your family member’s Screen Time settings."

If you aren't able to do that or need more help, it may be best to reach out to Apple Support to have them take a closer look.

Take care.

Dec 6, 2022 8:39 AM in response to pwollyapple

Hey there pwollyapple,

It sounds like you have a few questions that need answering, and we'd like to try our best to answer them:

1. You mentioned that there may be an issue due to their age, but we recommend making sure that their birthdates show correctly for each of their own Apple ID accounts. This link shows how to Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID just in case you needed it.
  2. For your other question, this link shows how to use parental controls using Screen Time: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Can't limit screen time for my 14 year old kids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.