You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell U3223QE monitor having glitches and artefacts on Macbook Pro M1 13 inch

Hello everyone.

I just bought this Dell u3223QE monitor.

Hooked it up to my m1 macbook pro 13 and immediately started noticing some random appearing lines, horizontally or vertically, that last for a fraction of a second and disappear. They appear in intervals of one or two every few seconds. They look like something you'd imagine would happen if there is a power issue to the monitor.

The lines are one part of the problem, but the other is that the monitor looks good for a couple of seconds, maybe a minute or two. And then starts glitching out. I can still see things on the display, but across the whole display area I see glitches appear. Most noticeable on colors that are not white or black. Especially grays.

I tried switching from usb-c from monitor to usb c to macbook, to display port cable to a dongle that converts DP to usb c and then into macbook. The issue persists.

I've tried switching color profiles, srgb, dci p3, still the issue persists.

Restarting the laptop, updating the drivers for the monitor, installing the dell display and peripheral software, etc etc, nothing helps.

I've read that this monitor is supported for macbooks, m1 as well.

I've also done the monitors self diagnostic thing, and everything seems fine.

The OS version is macOS Monterey, version 12.3.1

The only "conclusion" I have is that it has something to do with the signal coming out of the macbook somehow. Since it works normally at the start.

I've uploaded videos and pictures that showcase the problem, on google drive.

Do you have any idea what this could be? how to fix it?

[Link Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 1:41 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 6, 2022 11:20 AM in response to banovicboban

Hi banovicboban,

Here are some suggestions from the If your Mac display doesn’t look right resource that might be helpful:

- If the colors don’t look right: Try using the display profile designed for your display. For example, if you’re using a Thunderbolt display, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click the pop-up menu next to “Color profile” on the right, then choose Thunderbolt Display. If that doesn’t work, try calibrating the display.
- If your display is blurry: Make sure your Mac has detected that display. Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays.
To see the Detect Displays button, press the Option key. Then click the button to detect the display.
If the display is flickering: Make sure your Mac and display are connected to one another with good quality cables and adapters. You may also be experiencing interference from a nearby power line, a fluorescent light, a radio, a microwave oven, another computer, or another electrical device. Try relocating nearby electrical devices, or moving your Mac and display.
- If you see bright or dark spots on a flat-panel or Mac notebook computer screen: Your display may have pixel anomalies. If you suspect your Apple display contains a high number of anomalies, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Repairs performed by untrained individuals or using non-genuine Apple parts may affect the safety and functionality of the device.

If this doesn't help you can reach out for additional support here: Get Support

Take care.

Dec 10, 2022 6:17 AM in response to banovicboban

Hello banovicboban, Hi everyone,

I have probably the exact same issue with that particular monitor. I own that monitor for quite some time now (>6months) and I somehow believe that the issue just recently started. Maybe even with the installation of MACOS Ventura. I am not sure about the latter.

The problem is, that the "ramdom appearing lines" that I would describe more as a "suddenly occurring coarser rasterization of the pixels" only happens from time to time. It comes and goes suddenly.

The suggested "callibration" did not help. Any other suggestions?

Question for benovicboban: Do you have a solution?

Best Henrik

Dec 10, 2022 7:51 AM in response to Henni256

Hello Henrik.

Yes, your description fits to the problem i was having.

I tried everything possible but nothing helped.

The resin being that the problem was due to a hardware problem. There was some kind of malfunction to a probably small tiny part on the logic board or actually whatever part of the monitor, that caused the problem. When that part reached a particular temperature it gave way and “broke”, so all other parts couldn’t work properly and the result was that messed up signal.

I have my monitor replaced and don’t have this issue anymore.

One other thing i noticed now, while having the P3 colour mode active, when a certain shade of colour would appear on the monitor, be it while browsing twitter, youtube, or designing in figma, the monitor would start flickering rapidly.

It seems that when that particular shade of colour appears on the monitor it can’t show it properly for some reason and the weird flicker starts. Weird…

Id suggest that you replace your unit if you still have warranty.

Dec 10, 2022 8:20 AM in response to Henni256

Hi Henrik,

I have been in contact with Dell support, but everything we tried to fix the monitor didn’t work. They couldn’t specify this problem at the end.

I’be returned the monitor to the store where i’ve bought it initially l and they replaced it. They also tested it and said it was most probably some small soldering issue on the logic board that gives out when it reaches a certain temperature after a few seconds or minutes of the monitor working.

Sorry for not helping you out more.

Dell U3223QE monitor having glitches and artefacts on Macbook Pro M1 13 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.