You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie syncing

I have 2 laptops. The iMovies I make on my new MacBook Air are not syncing with my old MacBook Pro (11 years old). I'd like about thirty 45-minute videos on both. How do I do that?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 8:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 9:05 AM

Hi, Becoming,

One cannot sync iMovie libraries so you wouldn't be able to sync iMovie projects. I assume that you want to have cloud access to your exported iMovie files on both your old and new Mac.

Unlike for the Photos app that has iCloud Photos there is no iCloud iMovie. iMovie is not listed as one of the apps that can access the Cloud. As mentioned, iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the cloud and therefore cannot be synced. If your 11 year old Mac satisfies the system requirements for iCloud drive, you could activate iCloud drive on both devices and activate Desktop and Documents and I believe then you would have cloud access to any exported movies (not projects) that are on your desktops.

The minimum requirements for iCloud Drive is OS Yosemite or later. For iCloud Desktop and Documents OS Sierra or later is required. So it is possible that your 11 year old computer may be too old.

Check out this link for more info on iCloud:

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2022 9:05 AM in response to Becoming

Hi, Becoming,

One cannot sync iMovie libraries so you wouldn't be able to sync iMovie projects. I assume that you want to have cloud access to your exported iMovie files on both your old and new Mac.

Unlike for the Photos app that has iCloud Photos there is no iCloud iMovie. iMovie is not listed as one of the apps that can access the Cloud. As mentioned, iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the cloud and therefore cannot be synced. If your 11 year old Mac satisfies the system requirements for iCloud drive, you could activate iCloud drive on both devices and activate Desktop and Documents and I believe then you would have cloud access to any exported movies (not projects) that are on your desktops.

The minimum requirements for iCloud Drive is OS Yosemite or later. For iCloud Desktop and Documents OS Sierra or later is required. So it is possible that your 11 year old computer may be too old.

Check out this link for more info on iCloud:

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

-- Rich

IMovie syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.