You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group messaging with Android users not working on IOS 16

I recently upgraded to iphone 14 from an 11. I am not able to send or receive group messages that include android users. I have already made sure my MMS and SMS are turned on, I have reset the network settings. I can send and receive to android individually, I can send and receive in iphone group messages (imessages), but when I have a mixed group I cannot send or receive anything. I have a friend with the same issue-is this a work in progress that apple is aware of?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:51 PM

This STILL isn’t resolved and I need to send group messages for work. When will Apple fix this?!

11 replies

Jan 19, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Jbt152

I have Verizon and this worked to clear up my situation also. In the my Verizon ap- click on the device, then scroll down to preferences. I then clicked block specific services, then block picture and video messages. I confirmed to block, waited a minute then toggled back to unblock it again. I then restarted phone and my group text started working.

Feb 14, 2023 12:15 PM in response to Clintkc

Clintkc wrote:

If you have a large group message, and add an android user, you have to recreate the entire thread if new people are added tot the group or the android user won't receive the message. It's a flaw in imessage.

You can't add an Android user (or anyone using SMS/MMS as opposed to iMessage) to a group message. The size is irrelevant.

Dec 7, 2022 1:55 PM in response to Jezzebelle85

Greetings Jezzebelle85,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

You've completed some great troubleshooting steps so far. To help you solve the issue you're having with sending a group message to Android devices, we suggest following these steps:

• Go to Go to Settings > Messages > Messaging > Group Messaging and be sure that feature is enabled as well.

If it is enabled, toggle it off and back on again.

• Restart your iPhone. This may seem like a simple step to take but can often resolve several issues:

"1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

• Verify if you have a carrier update available. If so, you can complete it as shown here: Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

• Be sure you're running the latest software version. This is to ensure your iPhone runs smoothly. (Secure your data with a backup before proceeding): Update your iPhone or iPad

We hope this helps.

Have a wonderful day!

Group messaging with Android users not working on IOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.