You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson scanner connection

I have a NOS Epson Perfection 4870 Photo scanner that everyone says should work with OS Monterey. Epson has the latest driver, ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.12 for Image Capture, listed as working with Mac OS 12.X.

I downloaded the driver, as well as other Epson software list with newer scanners, but Image Capture refuses to find or recognize the Epson Scanner

The Epson downloads all appear to be 32-bit apps, but I can't find any 64-bit versions

The 4870 is one of the best 4 x 5 photo/negative/slide scanners with a built in light source for negatives/slides.

I know I can get VuScan that apparently works but I'd like to get it working with what I have.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 2:14 PM

2 replies

Dec 5, 2022 3:50 PM in response to MartinR

I had it initially hooked it up with an Apple Thunderbird - Firewire adapter and a firewire cable - it seemed to be the best connection

I have that setup for a Mac Mini stacked backup drive without issues once I got my new Mini

Once I hooked the scanner up with a good USB cable from the Mini, Apple Image Capture finally recognized it and ran. A bit slow, but apparently all the Epson Scan feature are in the driver.

Adobe Photo Elements found the scan without any issue.

But Epson's Scan 2 will not recognize it, it won't even let me add it

Since I'm going to be doing 4x5 scanning - a slow process - the USB connection is okay. Just frosted that Epson says its software will run with OS 12 - but they are wrong. In fact, they even suggest getting VuScan for Macs.

Dec 5, 2022 3:45 PM in response to Saransk93

How do you have the 4870 connected to your Mac? It's an old scanner, uses USB1.1/2.0 or Firewire. And if you have it connected to a USB hub, try connecting it directly to your Mac. It also wouldn't hurt to shut down & restart your Mac

Epson has only the ICA driver 5.8.12 available for the 4870 on Catalina & later. The Epson 4870 scanner driver & utility were last available on Mojave, which means they were 32-bit. Your "other Epson software list with newer scanners" is unlikely to work with this scanner even if they are 64-bit.

Your best bet is probably going to be Vuescan, which, in any event, is a much better scanning app than Image Capture.

Epson scanner connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.