You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the right way of using iMovie to favorite clips so that your Library will show all Favorites but videos are in their separate events?

I'm trying to become more organized with how I use iMovie and how I clip files.

I'm trying to understand, what the method of Favorites is, and how they are transferrable across Libraries.

I want to create a singular iMovie Library, about a singular theme. I want it to have multiple events, aptly named, and of those events, I would be adding video to each event, and dragging them onto the timeline. Then I'd select specific portions of the videos in the events, and do "Reveal in Project Media", and right-click on the yellowed up segment of the video, and go "Favorite".

But now my Favorited clip is in the "My Movie" project, not in the Event itself. So I don't understand.

Here's what I'm doing.

I start a new project, have some libraries open, drag a video to the project, and cut it so that I get the right segment, then Reveal in Project Media and then it is part of the My Movie.

Should I be dragging the converted files into an Event inside the Library, and then creating the Favorite? Can I take something from a project, and then make it into a Favorite in a Library Event?

Like, I'm just trying to understand the basic concepts of timekeeping / favorite-keeping, it feels like this is the most major thing holding me back from being able to do compilations of interview excerpts, for instance.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 1:32 PM

Control-click on the clip in the media brower. In the pop-up menu click on Favorite. That will mark the clip as a favorite (with a horizontal green line across the top) in the Library media browser and in all Events and Projects. You then can search for Favorites and they will appear in the media browser.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2022 1:32 PM in response to esaruoho

Control-click on the clip in the media brower. In the pop-up menu click on Favorite. That will mark the clip as a favorite (with a horizontal green line across the top) in the Library media browser and in all Events and Projects. You then can search for Favorites and they will appear in the media browser.

-- Rich

What is the right way of using iMovie to favorite clips so that your Library will show all Favorites but videos are in their separate events?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.