You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri on HomePod controls wrong lights and switches

About a month ago, despite resetting HomeKit twice, Siri on my HomePod defaults the lights to the Dining Room regardless of the room I place it in. So commands like, "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" or "Hey Siri, turn off the lights" don't turn on and off the lights in the actual room the HomePod is in -- it always defaults to the Dining Room light.

Example: in the Living Room, I say, "hey Siri, turn on the lights," and she gives feedback of "OK, the lights are on," and turns on the Dining Room light. I double-check the Home app and the HomePod is showing up in the Living Room. I ask the HomePod what room it is in and it gives no response. If I say, "Hey Siri, turn off the Living Room lights," she turns them off but gives no response as if it's the room she's in.

This is incredibly frustrating, because natural commands like turning the lights on and off are no longer available. Resetting HomeKit and re-setting up the entire house did not work. The HomePod still only will control the Dining Room light. Same thing if I move the HomePod to a different room of the house (bedroom) in the Home app -- still only the Dining Room light. And if I take the Dining Room light out of HomeKit -- she will still say "OK, I turned on the lights" but not turn on any lights.

Why can I not give natural commands anymore to Siri on HomePod?

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 9:30 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 9, 2022 1:30 PM in response to rimonr_

Hello rimonr_,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, when you ask Siri to turn the lights on she always only turns on the dining room light and no matter where the HomePod is placed it still only turns on the dining room lights. We'd like to help get Siri to turn on the appropriate lights when asked.

Let's check your HomePod settings just to ensure they are set up how you need them to be.

Change HomePod settings

Let's also check out the HomePod User Guide, specifically the section titled Control Your Home to ensure those settings are setup correctly as well.

HomePod User Guide

The article below will also be beneficial to you for help setting up your HomePod as a home hub.

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub

Just to make sure, but did you also try resetting Hey Siri? If not, let's give that a try as well.

If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Dec 14, 2022 1:35 PM in response to rimonr_

Hello rimonr_,

Let's use the steps below to update the device used to set up your HomePods, as an update was just recently released:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.

5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update your iPhone or iPad You'll also want to check for any updates for your HomePod speakers: Update HomePod Updating can sometimes help address odd behaviors.

1. Make sure that your device is updated to the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or macOS
2. Open the Home app. 
3. Tap or click the More button , then Home Settings  > Software Update.
4. If there's a new update, select Update. If there isn't a new update, you can select HomePod to turn on automatic updates and get the latest software automatically when it's available. Software Update also tells you if your HomePod is already up to date, and shows you the installed HomePod software.

Should that still persist, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support: Contact - Official Apple Support They'll be in the best position to look into this further.

Siri on HomePod controls wrong lights and switches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.