You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get voice text working

I can not get my voice text to work it just displays an microphone with an X next to it. iPhone 11

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 9:31 AM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Pwalsh15

Hey Pwalsh15,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as it explains your options for sending audio messages: Send and receive messages on iPhone - Apple Support

"Send a recorded audio message

Instead of writing a text message, you can quickly record an audio message that can be played right in the Messages conversation.

Audio recording is an iMessage app. In a Messages conversation, tap the Apps button to show the app icons below the text field, tap the Audio Recording button, then do one of the following:

• To record and review before sending: Tap the Record button to record, then tap it again to stop recording. Tap the Play button to review, then tap the Send button to send the recording or the Cancel button to cancel.
  • To record a message and send it immediately: Hold the Record button.

Note: Your audio message disappears from your conversation two minutes after you send it, unless you tap Keep. Recipients can still play your recording. To always keep audio messages, go to Settings  > Messages > Expire (below Audio Messages), then tap Never.

To make an audio or video call instead of sending a message, you can switch to FaceTime . In a Messages conversation, tap the FaceTime button.

Listen or reply to a recorded audio message

1. Raise iPhone to your ear to play incoming audio messages.
  2. Raise it again to reply.

To turn this feature on or off, go to Settings  > Messages, then turn off Raise to Listen."

If that doesn't help, we'd recommend recording and playing back a Voice Memo to see if that works properly. That would help isolate the issue further and determine if the problem is related to the microphone on your iPhone: Make a recording in Voice Memos on iPhone - Apple Support

Thanks!

I can’t get voice text working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.