You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M2 doesn't accept correct password to log in

The first launch was great: no problems appeared, I've created a new user and set up my MacBook Air M2. But after the first reset my Mac doesn't want to accept the correct password. Moreover, I have unlimited attempts to enter password and I don't get any hints. I've tried to reinstall macOS Monterey but it didn't help and I have no idea what to do with it.

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 11:35 AM

SOLUTION IS FOUND.

Since I couldn't log in with my correct password, I erased my hard disk, reinstalled macOS and decided to turn off password requirement. But I had to turn off FileVault encryption on my Mac first. To my surprise I didn't have permission for doing that. So I started searching and found this article that helped me a lot Missing user account in System Preference… - Apple Community

Summerizing it all, I couldn't log in because of my user name that contained a dot symbol in the beginning of it. My Mac couldn't identify correct path to my existing user folder in my /Users folder.

So if you're faced with the problem of logging in with a correct password check your username and never use any symbols.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2022 11:35 AM in response to alexamax

SOLUTION IS FOUND.

Since I couldn't log in with my correct password, I erased my hard disk, reinstalled macOS and decided to turn off password requirement. But I had to turn off FileVault encryption on my Mac first. To my surprise I didn't have permission for doing that. So I started searching and found this article that helped me a lot Missing user account in System Preference… - Apple Community

Summerizing it all, I couldn't log in because of my user name that contained a dot symbol in the beginning of it. My Mac couldn't identify correct path to my existing user folder in my /Users folder.

So if you're faced with the problem of logging in with a correct password check your username and never use any symbols.

Dec 11, 2022 9:31 PM in response to alexamax

If you follow the basic steps but the MacBook still doesn't accept the correct password, this means your Mac may be facing more complex system-related problems. The issue can be login items incompatibility, start-up disk errors, file damage, Mac hard drive errors etc. However, below are the few ways to fix the problems and make your Mac recognize your login password again:

1.    Reset NVRAM/PRAM

2.    Reset SMC

3.    Boot into Safe Mode

4.    Reset your login password

5.    Reset your Mac

Hope it will help!

MacBook Air M2 doesn't accept correct password to log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.