You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upload MP4 to IPhoto? When I drag/Drop or "upload" I get a - JPEG file accepted only.

How to upload MP4 to IPhoto? When I drag/Drop or "upload" I get a - JPEG file accepted only.

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 5:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 11:50 AM

Which system version is running on your Mac? The most recent versions of photos for Mac (Photos 5 or later) are no longer supporting all video codecs, that have been supported by older versions. See: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

• While the MP4 container format is still supported by macOS 10.15 Catalina and Photos 5 or later, some codecs for the media inside the container are no longer supported, for example 3ivx MPEG-4 or the Perian codecs.

You may need to convert the video that cannot be imported to a more compatible format.

Sometimes the reason for this error message is the location of the video. If it is stored on an external volume, check the file system format. If it is not APFS or MacOS Extended (journaled) or the format is case-sensitive, photos may not be able to find the resource forks in the mp4 container.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2022 11:50 AM in response to francie8991

Which system version is running on your Mac? The most recent versions of photos for Mac (Photos 5 or later) are no longer supporting all video codecs, that have been supported by older versions. See: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

• While the MP4 container format is still supported by macOS 10.15 Catalina and Photos 5 or later, some codecs for the media inside the container are no longer supported, for example 3ivx MPEG-4 or the Perian codecs.

You may need to convert the video that cannot be imported to a more compatible format.

Sometimes the reason for this error message is the location of the video. If it is stored on an external volume, check the file system format. If it is not APFS or MacOS Extended (journaled) or the format is case-sensitive, photos may not be able to find the resource forks in the mp4 container.

Dec 14, 2022 5:50 PM in response to francie8991

Hello francie8991,

This page can help out with importing videos and photos on the Mac: Overview of importing photos and videos

Import your photos and videos into your photo library so you can organize and edit them with Photos. You can import photos and videos in a variety of ways:
Using iCloud: Turn on iCloud Photo Library on your Mac and iOS devices to access your entire library automatically. Or, you can turn on My Photo Stream to import only your most recent photos. (If you use iCloud Photo Library, you don’t need to use My Photo Stream.) For more information about using iCloud, see Use iCloud Photo Library to store, share, and manage your photos in iCloud.

From cameras or mobile devices: You can connect a camera, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or other mobile device and import photos and videos from the device. For more information, see Import photos from a camera or phone.

From storage media: You can import photos or videos saved on a hard disk or other storage devices. For more information, see Import photos from hard disks, CDs, DVDs, and cards.

From other apps: You can also import photos and videos sent to you in an email or text message, or downloaded from Safari. For more information, see Import photos from Mail, Messages, Safari, and other apps.

Cheers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.