You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Entry??

High Sierra Macbook Pro: why was I prompted for a password to open my macbook pro? (a little picture of me in the center of the page & a log-in field). Never had to do that before! and starting to worry that someone's trying "break in"??

I didn't do any updates lately; no new software, etc. etc.

I did enter my password & was allowed entry. Also I did a shut down/restart & was NOT prompted again!

Thanks much,

Arne

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 6:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 12:02 PM

Hello L4popi,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities!

We're glad you're able to login without any issue. We suggest making sure the macOS is fully updated to help resolve any potential software issues. You can use these steps:

"Use Software Update

Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:
    • Choose System Settings. Then click General in the sidebar, and Software Update on the right.
    • Or choose System Preferences. Then click Software Update.

2. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update Now or Upgrade Now button to install it.

3. Enter your administrator password, if asked. During installation, your Mac might restart, and you might see a progress bar or blank screen several times.

If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only updates and upgrades that are compatible with your Mac."

We hope this helps to resolve any issues that might have caused the prompt for the login screen and your password.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2022 12:02 PM in response to L4popi

Hello L4popi,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities!

We're glad you're able to login without any issue. We suggest making sure the macOS is fully updated to help resolve any potential software issues. You can use these steps:

"Use Software Update

Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:
    • Choose System Settings. Then click General in the sidebar, and Software Update on the right.
    • Or choose System Preferences. Then click Software Update.

2. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update Now or Upgrade Now button to install it.

3. Enter your administrator password, if asked. During installation, your Mac might restart, and you might see a progress bar or blank screen several times.

If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only updates and upgrades that are compatible with your Mac."

We hope this helps to resolve any issues that might have caused the prompt for the login screen and your password.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2022 10:53 AM in response to L4popi

Hey L4popi,

Had you restarted your Mac when you were prompted with the user login screen? Are you prompted to login after restarting your Mac now? It is normal to be prompted to sign in to your user account after signing out or restarting your Mac, unless you have automatic login enabled, as discussed below.

How to log in automatically to a Mac user acccount

Take care.

Password Entry??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.