You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi shows weak security with WP, but my network is WPA2

My MacBook Air says the WiFi has weak security with WPA, but the router is set to WPA2 and my other MacBook Pro doesn't show the same error. This MacBook Air also has slow WiFi compared to the other MacBook and my iPhone. Is there a way to delete and reinstall the wifi service or otherwise refresh the wifi setup on the MacBook Air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 2:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 9:40 AM

I'm glad that worked for you. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I've checked everything three times: my router is using WPA2 Personal (AES) -- I've verified this for both 2.4 and 5. I've deleted / forgotten the network on my macBook and then rejoined, and it even says something to the effect of "This network uses WPA2 (etc) please log in." When I go to the network settings and click on advanced, it verifies that my network uses WPA2. And yet I'm still getting this warning. Is it just an OS glitch, or is there something else I can try?

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2023 9:40 AM in response to JimWard

I'm glad that worked for you. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I've checked everything three times: my router is using WPA2 Personal (AES) -- I've verified this for both 2.4 and 5. I've deleted / forgotten the network on my macBook and then rejoined, and it even says something to the effect of "This network uses WPA2 (etc) please log in." When I go to the network settings and click on advanced, it verifies that my network uses WPA2. And yet I'm still getting this warning. Is it just an OS glitch, or is there something else I can try?

Dec 14, 2022 4:09 AM in response to JimWard

Apple menu -> system preferences -> network -> WiFi -> Advanced lets you add/remove WiFi networks manually.

Use the minus sign after selecting the insecure network and then reconnect to it, using the Airport menu to connect to Other...

Then you can specify which method of encryption you are connecting and the network name.

WiFi shows weak security with WP, but my network is WPA2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.