You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a Photo from Library after moving it to a Album

When I drag and drop a photo from the Library to a Photo Album the photo stays in the library but a copy of the photo is created in the Album I dragged the photo to. I want to remove the photo from the Library but keep the copy in the Album. How is this done? If I delete the photo in the Library it also deletes the photo in the Album.

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 8:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 2:03 PM

Thank you for the answer. To me, the whole purpose for a 'filing' system is to be able to group like things and have the image in only ONE location. I have several images in the Library that I rally don't want in the Library, hence the reason I created the Albums. My opinion is this procedure *****. OK I just thought of an idea - copy the images I want to remove from the Library to an external drive and then delete them from the Library. I'll try it with one image. Don B

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2022 2:03 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for the answer. To me, the whole purpose for a 'filing' system is to be able to group like things and have the image in only ONE location. I have several images in the Library that I rally don't want in the Library, hence the reason I created the Albums. My opinion is this procedure *****. OK I just thought of an idea - copy the images I want to remove from the Library to an external drive and then delete them from the Library. I'll try it with one image. Don B

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 16, 2022 11:22 AM in response to dfbakernaustx

You cannot do it.

Every photograph is in the Library. Just like iTunes & Music app: every song is in the Library.

No copy is made when you add a photo to an album. An album is simply a list of images you want displayed together. The same image can be in 100 albums and use no extra disk space at all. Again just like iTunes/ Music, a playlist simply hold references to the track in the Library.

So, the key takeaway is that in these apps the Library is the central core, and everything else is a derivative of that.

Deleting a Photo from Library after moving it to a Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.