You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time to replace my 2013 iMac with a new Mac Mini - advice request

It is time for a new computer and I think it will be a Mac Mini. As you can see, my current computer is almost 10 years old. I want to be able to have the new computer as long. My use case(s) are pretty limited. Browsing internet, sometimes making home movies (iMovie), listening to music, etc. Clearly nothing to taxing. But, because of the hoped for longevity, I want to spend the $ one time and not replace a computer every couple of years. I have seen the add-ons you can get for the Mini (e.g. more storage) and will probably wind up with that. What is the difference between the M1 chip and the Intel chip? Why would I want one over the other?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 5:28 PM

I switched from a 2014 Mac Mini (i5) to the M1 last year, and the difference is staggering. I still have the Original mini, and it is almost completely unusable. So far, the M1 mini has easily handled everything I can throw at it, including multiple video streams, without even getting warm. It's the best decision I've ever made, and I seriously doubt you'll regret it. I'm confident that I'll be using this thing years from now.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2022 5:28 PM in response to K J

I switched from a 2014 Mac Mini (i5) to the M1 last year, and the difference is staggering. I still have the Original mini, and it is almost completely unusable. So far, the M1 mini has easily handled everything I can throw at it, including multiple video streams, without even getting warm. It's the best decision I've ever made, and I seriously doubt you'll regret it. I'm confident that I'll be using this thing years from now.

Dec 17, 2022 5:49 AM in response to K J

If longevity is your goal, then obviously Intel is out as Apple is moving all to their own Apple silicon and sooner rather than later support will be dropped for Intel.

As to how long repair support, the following are the current guidelines:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

As far as OS support, Apple generally supports Vintage category products, but not always all. So loosely, a 2018 Mac may be supported until as early as 2023 or to 2025 for new macOS versions and maybe a bit longer but that is entirely up to Apple and the hardware requirements for the latest OS. Beyond that, there is the general two previous version security updates to macOS.

Dec 16, 2022 5:58 PM in response to K J

Don't get the Intel Mac mini if you want longevity. It's from 2018 and the only reason it's still here is that it can run three displays. The M1 version is limited to two displays.

If you don't already have a good display, take a look at the M1 iMac instead of a Mac mini. Don't get the cheapest iMac. The more expensive iMacs have Ethernet and extra USB-C ports so you can add extra devices as you can with the Mac mini.

Dec 17, 2022 9:11 AM in response to K J

Thank you for all the information. Glad I asked about the Intel (I expect to have only 1 display). I will look at the iMac, but not sure I want to go that road again (e.g. cost). Regarding the sunsetting of old OS, I have several machines of even older vintages that are still used :-)! Is there a reason I should wait until the next gen Mac Mini comes out? Looking at the tech specs, it appears the max RAM is 8GB and my current iMac is 32GB. I have not been following RAM developments, I assume this RAM is more powerful/efficient?

Thanks again!

Dec 17, 2022 11:32 AM in response to K J

I have a mid-2015 i7 MBP with 16GB of RAM that sits on my desk next to the Mini... and the M1 Mini smokes it in every. single. comparison. My Mini is connected to an LG 34" widescreen monitor, so it's essentially two monitors in one housing and I shifted to it primarily because I wanted more monitor real estate than the MBP could give. The latest macOS releases have rendered the MBP "below the mark," and I was just discussing with my son last night that I will probably replace it with a 12.9" iPad Pro with Apple Silicon because the Mini has performed so well as my daily driver. If you decide to purchase the Mini, keep in mind that you may also be looking for a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I had all those things from my previous mini, so my upgrade cost was limited.

I, too, was a little concerned about the reduced amount of RAM, but I have found it to be more than adequate for my use. As for the speed of the RAM, the architecture of Apple Silicon has demonstrated that there is more to memory performance than speed. I was also concerned about storage since my MBP has 512GB and the old i5 Mini had a 1TB mechanical drive, but I have shifted to storing photos and documents in iCloud after upgrading to Apple One. That enabled me to retire my local Network drive and its inherent network vulnerabilities, so the 256GB SSD has been more than enough.

The M1 Mini has been out long enough to make pricing more appealing, which is always the most important for me. I can't tell you if you should wait for a "new" Mini model, but I can't imagine how you're dealing with the performance of a 10-year-old iMac, considering the abysmal performance I saw from my 8-year-old i5 Mini.

Dec 17, 2022 11:40 AM in response to K J

It’s a good idea to get the Mac mini with an M1 chip. In terms of performance, you will see an incredible improvement compared to your 2013 iMac. The switch to Intel will unlock more functionality in future macOS updates, and also give you the ability to run iOS software on your Mac.

Also, the flexibility on what monitor you’re using over time will be an advantage when choosing the Mac mini. There is no need to have to purchase a new computer if you’d like to get a larger monitor. The latest M1 iMac’s are only 24” monitors, so you would be stuck with that screen size for the lifetime of the computer.

In summary, it’s smart to purchase a M1 based Mac in these days, as they are based on Apple Silicon. Any Intel based Mac is not going to be able to run all future macOS versions. They will still be supported, but in a limited way. It’s a great time to switch to Apple Silicon based machines, as you will be supported for many years to come.

Dec 17, 2022 8:20 PM in response to K J

Thanks everyone! Mac Mini it will be! I will plan to go w/ the 256 and rely on cloud plus local storage backups. Looking at monitors, it is possible I will spend more (or equivalent) for the monitor! I do plan to purchase the aftermarket add-ons for the mini I saw a few months ago before getting serious. My current desk may be a limiting factor for screen, but that is a nice problem to have! Will come back to this thread if any more questions.

Ummm, literally before hitting send, I have another question.... On my main iMac, I have a ~3TB fusion drive. Am a mess trying to keep the relevant files and not having a bloated drive. Previously, I have brought everything over because every new drive was larger than the last. What are the best practices to attack the duplicates, useless files, etc?

Dec 18, 2022 5:46 AM in response to K J

Dear K J ..... I recently purchased the new M1 mac mini. Its an amazing machine. IMHO I would max out the ram

at 16 GB and go for the 1 TB ssd. The total cost of the unit was about $1300 . If you expect to keep the machine for

10 years you will never regret the upgrades. Remember, you cannot add ram or increase the ssd so what you buy

initially is what you will have for the life of the computer. Again just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Time to replace my 2013 iMac with a new Mac Mini - advice request

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.