You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music

It told me to sync my library and it deleted all my ****. I had over 2,500 songs and I want them back.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 11:24 AM

3 replies

Dec 18, 2022 12:11 PM in response to ChrisJr76

Just updated my iphone 11 pro to iOS 16.2, and it wiped out the majority of my personal library, the entirety of which is purchased, no Music subscriptions. It kept about 8 GB of music onboard, which might be actual itunes purchases (most of my library is ripped from purchased CDs or Amazon downloads.) WHAT THE H? Can't do a restore without wiping the phone, and adding new music via Music/iTunes does not work anymore. Haven't lost it from my Mac library, but it won't sync.

So glad that apple is saving money on product testing before release to keep everything affordable.... NOT.

Dec 18, 2022 3:44 PM in response to yebdox

After numerous soft and hard resets, restarting my Mac etc., I continue to see the list of tunes that should be on my phone, with no way of dragging or reinstalling them, other than manually. I have operated for the last year or two without the music sync selection chosen on the iPhone (from the sidebar selection when plugged into the Mac) for the simple reason that it is much easier to add specific albums and tunes, including those most recently added to my library from the "recently added" sidebar menu.

Regardless, I clicked the music sync button and began choosing artists, as well as individual album selections to sync back to the phone and this has been partially successful. When choosing an artist, it only randomly will add all of their work. The challenges the album names are not identified by artist, but only alphabetically, so it makes it difficult to select from that list.

After running this sync a couple of times, I began to be able to add albums directly from the main iTunes window to the phone listed in the iTunes sidebar (I know, it's called Music now, but I will still refer to it as iTunes since I have no desire for a subscription). I'm not sure what function the main tune list that shows on selection of the phone in iTunes is all about, since you cannot export it, copy it or click and drag and most of those were eliminated after the update, but I'm gradually adding my library back in in the aforementioned fashion.

Jan 20, 2023 11:46 PM in response to ChrisJr76

I have a very similar issue and can't figure out a way to stop it.

Before I get into it, I don't subscribe to Apple Music or any other streaming services. My entire library is purchased music transferred to my iPhone from my library, or purchased from Apple directly.

In any case, since upgrading to iOS 16.2, my music gets deleted at random. If I select a specific track to play, it's just luck whether my phone will either play or delete it. If it plays once, it will stay forever and won't be deleted, but most cases, it will delete the track without playing. I usually play my music on shuffle and when I do, it will simply delete each track in the queue one-by-one, until it reaches a random track that it plays without deleting.

I can't figure out any pattern to it, because it makes no difference where the music came from. Even my purchases from Apple get deleted - then it will try to stream that purchased track from Apple if I have signal or WiFi.

If I resync my phone with my Mac, it will transfer those deleted files back to my iPhone. But even the re-transferred music gets deleted again when trying to play.

If anyone has a fix, let me know, but my guess is this is a bug that Apple haven't patched

Apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.