You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latest version of safari 16.2 not working. version 16.2

latest version of safari 16.2 not working. version 16.2. just updated

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 2:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 9:39 AM

With Safari completely Closed.

Hold the SHIFT key and then click the Safari icon from the Applications folder ( not Dock )

This is a Safe Launch of Safari and not the operating system.

Still having issues ➡️

Suggest starting in the Order of the presented step below and not to skip over any of them.

Test after each step and work done to step 7 if required

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2022 9:39 AM in response to wildque

With Safari completely Closed.

Hold the SHIFT key and then click the Safari icon from the Applications folder ( not Dock )

This is a Safe Launch of Safari and not the operating system.

Still having issues ➡️

Suggest starting in the Order of the presented step below and not to skip over any of them.

Test after each step and work done to step 7 if required

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Dec 21, 2022 1:57 PM in response to wildque

Thank you for sharing the Etrecheck Report.

Have tried to focus solely on aspects that are specific to Safari 16.2  failing to function / load at all.

In conscience, there are some Others Issue that bare the attention of the User

Problem: Apps are crashing

Description: Safari 16.2 will not open

Q1- Obsolete hardware - This computer may be considered obsolete.

Q2 - SSD too slow - SSD is showing poor performance.

Q3- MacBook Air (11-inch, 2013-2014)

A1,A2 & A3 - Think we already knew, even before the Etrecheck Application was run,  that this computer is starting to show its’ age. Though it has functions like a charm over the years - the SSD drive maybe reaching its’ end of being reliable.

You could explore at www.owc.com for possible replacements that are specifically suited for this configuration.

That is, if you want to extend the life of this faithful machine

Worse case and worth consideration ➡️

If the user wishes to explore the Apple Trading In option where the Value of the exiting machine could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer 

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

Safari Extensions:

Q4 -   Gixen eBay Sniper Extension (App Store - installed 2022-11-19)

A4 - Did the Safari issue manifest itself before the 16.2 was installed. If not perhaps ( guess ) since the issue is not presented in a Secondary Account  - I tend to believe the Safari Extension is the overall root cause in the Normal Admin Account

Suggest checking with the Developers of this extension for an update or remove it altogether and Test in the regular Admin Account 

Dec 22, 2022 10:18 AM in response to PRP_53

I have looked at the drive replacement you suggest and the postage is silly for the uk, so I will see what I can get locally over here, but thanks.

I have deleted the extension, and restarted, made no difference.

I then restored the operating system, safari ok, upgraded not ok.

Deleted all not used programs, restarted still no safari.

But when I clicked on the reply link in the email, it opened safari fine!

been using the m1 in my replies

Although I have am m1, I still take the old MacBook with me, I just like the form of it. silly I know!!

Dec 22, 2022 1:47 PM in response to wildque

wildque wrote:

I have looked at the drive replacement you suggest and the postage is silly for the uk, so I will see what I can get locally over here, but thanks.
I have deleted the extension, and restarted, made no difference.
I then restored the operating system, safari ok, upgraded not ok.
Deleted all not used programs, restarted still no safari.
But when I clicked on the reply link in the email, it opened safari fine!
been using the m1 in my replies
Although I have am m1, I still take the old MacBook with me, I just like the form of it. silly I know!!

Regarding the Drive Replacement from USA based company.

This I really do understand as I too, though physically much closer 🇨🇦, the rate of Exchange is about 30 cent on each dollar CDN to USA.

That was really a lot of good work on your part 👍 but alas no success thus far.

Ah, the 11" was one of my first choices but never got around to purchasing. Back in the day when always with the ig Brother 15" machines from Apple.

Closed to having similar was the new discontinued Retina MacBook 12" Fanless machine with only one USB Port with a weight of about 1 kg - 2 lbs.

Unfortunately, pushed it beyond its abilities and Fried the LogicBoard

Best of luck finding the appropriate SSD locally.

Time permitting - let us know how thing progress

latest version of safari 16.2 not working. version 16.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.