You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import photos into Photos App (Catalina)

I suddenly can't import photos from my iPhone (14 Pro & 7 Plus) or even Downloads Folder to Photos on Catalina. It was OK a few months ago, but is suddenly not working anymore.

iMac 27″, 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 2:45 PM

That's weird. The first things to try are these:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

If that doesn't help, come back here-- and tell us how your preferences are set in Photos:

In Photos>Preferences>General,

Is "Use as System Photo Library" grayed out (indicating it is) or solid (indicating this isn't your system library)?

Is "Copy Item to the Photos Library" checked? (This is the default, indicating a "Managed Library")

In Photos>Preferences>iCloud

Is "iCloud Photos" checked?

If it is, is "Optimize Mac Storage" check?

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Thim Fook

That's weird. The first things to try are these:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

If that doesn't help, come back here-- and tell us how your preferences are set in Photos:

In Photos>Preferences>General,

Is "Use as System Photo Library" grayed out (indicating it is) or solid (indicating this isn't your system library)?

Is "Copy Item to the Photos Library" checked? (This is the default, indicating a "Managed Library")

In Photos>Preferences>iCloud

Is "iCloud Photos" checked?

If it is, is "Optimize Mac Storage" check?

Dec 23, 2022 3:29 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Much thanks for your reply, Richard. Oddly, after I've posted, a thought occurred to Rebuild The Photos Library, which I did, and after this was completed, I was able to import the photos from my iPhone as well as Download folder. It's weird why it couldn't recognise .jpg files prior to the rebuilding of the photos library.

So we can close this case now. TQVM again.

Regards.

Thim F.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jan 15, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Thim Fook

Hey, again, Thim,

I wonder about the format of the pictures. New phones use HEIC, a format that Catalina had never heard of. That can be fixed with settings on the phone:

In iPhone Settings>Camera>Formats>Camera Capture chose Most Compatible so it will export Photos as jpgs

In iPhone Settings>Photos>Transfer choose Automatic so it will adjust to what's most compatible.

Let me know if this was it!

Jan 16, 2023 1:56 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Hi again Richard. And much thanks again for your quick reply.

Firstly, the Camera/Format/Camera Capture has been set to "Most Compatible." As for Photos/Transfer, it was originally in Keep Originals, but I've switched that to "Automatic." However, after doing this, I was still unable to import into Photos. Nothing seems to happen despite having clicked "Import Selected" SEVERAL TIMES. Btw, I'm curious, what does "Keep Originals" mean? If anything, I would think it might apply to Windows/PC, but not to a Mac.

Secondly, those photos that couldn't be imported are in .DNG format. However, the weird thing is there were some .DNG files as well that were successfully imported in Photos on Catalina, except for these 2 remaining .DNG files. I have also used Affinity Photo to export these 2 photos - as well as an additional one, to .JPG files, but the same thing happened - I was not able to import even these .JPG files into Photos.

Thirdly, I've even used Preview to export to a slightly lower file size, but in .JPG format, and again I could not even import these .JPG files into Photos.

The Photos app on Catalina doesn't seem to be consistent, and is behaving VERY weirdly.

Look forward to hearing from you (or others) again soon.

Much thanks in advance.

Regards.

Jan 16, 2023 9:06 AM in response to Thim Fook

Hi again Richard

Sorry. A quick update. I think the error message is misleading. Seems it's not the file format that's the issue. Rather, it's the available space. After doing some disk space clearing, I'm able to import that 2 .DNG files into Photos. Weird message.

Thanks again for everything.

Regards.

Thim Fook, L

Jan 16, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Thim Fook

Thim Fook wrote:I'm curious, what does "Keep Originals" mean? If anything, I would think it might apply to Windows/PC, but not to a Mac.

The newer iPhones use the format HEIC, which uses a high efficiency compression. You're running Catalina which doesn't recognize HEIC. Neither does much Windows software. That's a source of the compatibility issues.

Glad it works, now!

Jan 16, 2023 9:04 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Much thanks again for your clarification, Richard. However, I wasn't using HEIC, so there should not be any issue with this HEIC thing while importing into Photos on Catalina. Probably just another bug in Apple's OS these days. There seem to be more bugs and other issues from Apple these couple of years, OSX, iOS, WatchOS, iPadOS - just name it.

Regards.

Thim F., Law

Can't import photos into Photos App (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.